August 16, 2013

She's a Small Stone

She sits at the edge of the pond with her bent legs pulled up tight under her chin. Her left arm is wrapped around those knobby knees, while her right hand tinkers with the stones strewn about her feet.  She tosses them, over and over into the air, and into the tall grass growing up out of the water's edge. The locusts are singing, and she ponders life.

A dragonfly lands on her big toe, and she tries to reach for her camera without interrupting his curiosity, but he zips away to a safer spot on a twig floating in the green, stagnant water.  He seems to watch her as she pushes the stones around and ponders and strains to see into her future.


Can she really make a difference?  Can one person who scribbles out words in notebooks, change anything?  Is she part of God's provision to parched and weary souls?  What she has to say - will it move anyone? Her mind wanders and wonders.

She picks up some stones and flings them further, and the dragonfly still stares and perhaps wonders if one will hit too close.  She rises to leave and decides to toss one final stone into the water.  She's hoping to make a big splash, but small stones don't make big splashes.  The stone drops in the pool, and the movement of the water carries the dragonfly and his branch away on a small wave. She realizes in that moment that even small stones cause ripples and that maybe, just maybe, she wasn't called to make a big splash.  She watches as the ripple she's caused moves on and on.

Today I'm sharing with Five Minute Friday where we write for five minutes on a given word prompt.  Today's prompt is SMALL.

I'm also sharing with: Faith Filled Fridays, Fellowship Friday, Weekend Brew, Still Saturday, Sunday Stillness, Spiritual Sundays, and Womanhood with a Purpose.

23 comments:

  1. I love this post! Your words are like those of my heart right now. Can our words really make a difference? I oftentimes ask the same question, but if God called our heart to this purpose, He most assuredly has plans for our words. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! I think many of us have been pondering this question, and truly God will use every word written for His glory. We may not know the impact of our obedience this side of heaven, but we can be sure of his promises and maybe someone in heaven will tap us on the shoulder and say, "I want you to know I read what you wrote and it's the reason I'm here." Wouldn't that be cool!?

      Delete
  2. Lovely and thoughtful!

    Visiting from FMF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephani, this is just beautiful! "She realizes in that moment that even small stones cause ripples and that maybe, just maybe, she wasn't called to make a big splash." Yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Barbie! I know why you said, "Yes!" to this, and it seems many in our blogging circle have been thinking some of these same thoughts. We must be Kingdom seekers and Kingdom builders even if we do it anonymously.

      Delete
  4. I think people are so hungry for the truth right now that probably small stones are making ripples that go much further than anyone might image....Your heartfelt posts always speak to my heart and are often used for confirmation in issues I am working through at the time. I am blessed by your talent of writing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy you are always an encouragement to me. I'm glad you find something in this space that you can take and use in your own life.

      Delete
  5. Oh I love this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Omily! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. This is so sweet. I love how each of us, no matter how small can truly make huge ripples in this life.

    God bless you today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! I think what I love most about the ripples is that we don't know how far they extend or what impact they are truly making. God works in that!

      Delete
  7. "even small stones cause ripples" -- such a good lesson for us all, isn't it? And one I certainly need to hear time and time again. Thank you (visiting from Still Saturday).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Michelle! So glad you stopped by. Yes, I need to remind myself often that the outcome of my obedience is truly up to the Lord. Small waves, big waves - they are his to use.

      Delete
  8. Wow, Stephani! I've often tried to take pictures of dragonflies, but they move too fast for me. Your picture is beautiful--and so are the thoughts that go with it. Thank you for writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet! I took this photo some time ago. When I wrote the story I thought, "Hey! I've got a photo that will go with this perfectly!"

      Delete
  9. Oh, I love this post. Great photo. I can imagine myself doing exactly the same thing, only failing to come up with the small ripple epiphany.

    Thanks.

    Laura Hedgecock
    http://www.TreasureChestofMemories.com
    http://www.twitter.com/LauraLHedgecock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by and enjoyed the post to boot!

      Delete
  10. Lovely! First, I fell in love with the image of the dragonfly! I've never seen such detail - terrific capture! And you're right, not all of us are flashy big stones but we're each given a special purpose. Enjoyed your writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a "dragonfly" person sometimes. They eat the bugs that would ruin us and they don't hurt us. What a treat for this photo and the explanation. Good, VERY good.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,

    Thank you for visiting my photography blog! I actually have a new one. I'm going to be deleting the one you commented on after I establish my new one.

    In any case, Iove your dragonfly photo! Awesome!!

    Blessings,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is truly beautiful and leaves me feeling so encouraged and I have the feeling it did the same for many. Loved this ---> "just maybe, she wasn't called to make a big splash."
    Thank you for your words Stephanie.
    Much love. XO
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really lovely post. And it so encourages me. We all have meaning and purpose in God's Kingdom. Big and small, the Lord uses us all.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!