July 11, 2013

Tailgating

As I backed out of the driveway, I turned my head just in time to see his tailgate disappearing around the curve in the road. “I better step on it or I’ll lose him.” I said to myself as I shifted my car out of reverse. We were heading to a place I did not know. I knew I had to stay close behind that old pick-up truck or I would find myself lost. So for several miles I stared at the tailgate watching for turn signals to tell me which way to turn. I changed lanes when he changed lanes. I stopped when he stopped, and I turned when he turned. We made it to our destination without a hitch, and after tending to business for several hours we headed home in the late afternoon heat. Taking the same route, I pulled in behind, and the following began once again. Turn signal on. Turn right. Turn signal on. Turn left. Four-way stop. “Oh no! A car has pulled in between us!” That rust on white '65 Ford was pulling a trailer piled high with auction items. It’s my job to make sure the load doesn’t shift or come unstrapped. I couldn't see the load or the taillights now, so for several miles I drove with a little more apprehension and with one goal in mind: getting back behind the taillights because I didn't want to get lost, or worse, have items from the trailer wind up smashed in the middle of the road. Once back behind my leader, my tension eased. We only had to make one stop on that trip home. The tarp had become loose, flapping in the wind.  What a perfect opportunity to stop at the corner grocery, cool down from the long day in the sun; and drink a cold, strawberry-kiwi slush.


Back on the road, it wasn’t long before we found ourselves within a few blocks of our home. I kicked back and drove leisurely as I listened to the radio. I drank my slush, and watched for the turn signals. I knew who I was following, and I knew where we were going. No worries. Being so close to home I could have taken my eyes off my leader, but why? What if he needed me, and what if that load shifted? I kept following the taillights and sure enough he didn’t turn where I would have turned to go home, in fact we were now headed off in another direction. I followed into a thrift store parking lot and watched as my husband donated the remains of his auction items.   As I sat and waited, I began to find it a bit humorous and a little ridiculous the way I was so closely following every move that old pick-up truck made. It wasn’t like I had just learned how to drive. I did have a cell phone if I got lost or had problems. I could make a frantic call if I needed to. That’s when I felt that old familiar tap on my heart and the whisper in my ear, “This is how you rest in Jesus.”
“What? By donating items to the thrift store?”
“This is how you rest in Jesus.”
As I looked at the tailgate of that old truck, I suddenly saw the hem of Jesus’ garment. There were no worries because I was following so close. When I follow so close to Jesus that I never lose sight of him, I am at rest. I am at rest when I don’t worry about which direction to turn until he says, “This way.” When I keep distractions from getting in between us, I am at rest. When I don’t follow the familiar road I am tempted to follow, I am at rest in him. When I am in his midst, there are no frantic calls to make asking him to come running. He is rest, and I am at rest when I don’t take my eyes off of him.

The dark storm clouds were beginning to form, and it had been a long hot day, but our journey was coming to an end as we rounded the curve, and I saw our home on the corner up ahead. A smile came to my face as that little house turned into a vision of my mansion on the hill. You know it don't you - the one we'll have when we  round the corner with Jesus to our final destination.

(It's another hot day in July today.  I can't believe it's been three years since I wrote about this little trip I took with my husband.  We've taken many similar ones since.  God often uses my husband and our interactions as foundation for a lesson in my life.  Such a blessing. This morning I prayed for direction and for rest and he brought me back to this post to remind me of where my eyes need to be. Thanks for indulging me in this re-post.   The care of my parents in addition to work and other responsibilities sure keeps me going.  Throwing in a re-post now and then helps me to share a truth that is on my heart and stay connected with you while taking care of all that lies before me.)

Today I'm sharing with  Out of the Blue - This story is about how God came out of the blue to teach me a lesson during an ordinary day, and today he reminded me of it out of the blue and answered a prayer yet again.

I'm also sharing with #TellHisStory

12 comments:

  1. I'd never read this story, so thank you for reposting it. It's wonderfully written, and better yet I love the message behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you see Jesus in everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I can't think of a higher compliment. So humbling really. When I read your words I just bowed my head and said, "Only if it were true!" I want to see Jesus in everything, but I fall short way too often. The Holy Spirit just presses hard on my and I need it. I think when we seek him through reading his Word and through prayer, he shows up! He says he will, and I've found it to be true!

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful whisper to your heart, Stephanie! I'm so glad I read this today. Following close to Him myself and seeking His direction. Thanks for sharing it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and sharing Pam. So glad you're following close to Him. No other way will satisfy!

      Delete
  4. I must have missed this the first time around, so I'm so glad you reposted this. Such sweet truths that we need to be reminded of all the time. You are so good at getting blessings out of ordinary events and making them extraordinary. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you used the words "ordinary event and making them extraordinary" because you've ready my about me page or not, but I'm so glad to see those words because that's exactly what I want to do. I want to help people to see that ordinary really doesn't exist at all because when God is present extraordinary exists all around us. Thanks Lea!

      Delete
  5. I loved this little story! Glad God prompted you to re-post it today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Amanda! So glad to see you here!

      Delete
  6. This is *such* a beautiful word for us, Stephani. A thousand thank-you's for sharing it with us.

    And your space here? Oozing with the lovely. Fresh-air giving, just like your words. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kristen, thanks so much for reading and for hosting the Out of the Blue link up. What a great way to share what God is doing in the ordinary things of our lives. So glad you enjoyed your time in this space!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!