July 12, 2013

Presenting the Night

My alarm sounds at 4:30 a.m., and at the other end of the day I tumble into bed at 11:00.  This gives my body a five hour window of opportunity to find rest.  But, as on most nights, the window of opportunity slams shut at about midnight, and my eyes pop wide open, startled by the sound of lost sleep.  


In my life, sleep is a guest, but never a friend.  She comes but never stays.  I wrestle with the blankets until I'm tied in knots and they are threadbare.  Neither of us wins.  Awake in a bed turned wrestling mat is no way to spend the hours meant for renewal. And then not unlike the morning light, it dawns on me . . .

Insomnia presents me with an altogether different kind of opportunity.  She brings me the still hours of the night to envelop my spirit with a sweetness that comes from being quiet and alone.  When we are presented with something, we are in essence offered a gift.  Could these hours I sit wide-eyed be a gift? And if I present them back to Him, can they be turned into a sacrifice of praise?  


 I throw the covers back and set my feet on the floor.  The Lord has given me these hours in the dark, sometimes to sleep, but often awake.  Rather than wrestle, I'd rather just unwrap the gift I've been presented.  What might it contain?  I don't know, but as the street light shines dimly over the porch, I sit and breathe in the quiet of His spirit, I bathe in His Word, and I rest in His presence, presenting these moments right back to Him to use as He will.

I've shared these wee hours with you this morning and with Lisa Jo Baker at Five Minute Friday where she gives us a word prompt and the opportunity to write for five minutes without worrying about making it perfect.  Today's word prompt is PRESENT which I am using in the verb form \pri-ˈzent\


Now, off to bed for an hour or two.  Goodnight! Or should I say good morning?

20 comments:

  1. I love this post. Such beautiful writing. It has really blessed me as well. It's beautiful to read about your walk with God and how you're giving that time back to Him. May God bless you richly and keep using you to bless others.
    I came over from Lisa-Jo. Chan from http://my-life-as-a-mum.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chan, and thank you for stopping by. I'm glad you found some refreshment here! I'll hop over and check out your post!

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written! It doesn't happen to me very often, but when I can't sleep at night, it's nice to sit in the dark living room all by myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is peaceful isn't it. Sometimes though I get too focused on trying to get back to sleep because I get up so early, but sometimes just going with it is the best thing to do! God can use anything, anytime, anywhere!

      Delete
  3. Such lovely words here, bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too find sleep wonderful but elusive. I love that you decided to embrace insomnia as a gift. What a beautiful attitude. May that time bless you much! coming over from Faith filled Fridays and glad to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insomnia can wreck havoc, but I definitely don't want to let it win. It's not easy to embrace it, but God knows all about it so until and unless it changes I must figure out a way to make it useful as I follow his will for my life. Thanks for stopping by Jean. I'm going to check out your post!

      Delete
  5. These words were achingly beautiful. And this, "When we are presented with something, we are in essence offered a gift." I needed this today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So thankful you found something in this space that you need and can use!

      Delete
  6. I wrestle with Insomnia too, but must admit I'd never, EVER, thought of it as a gift.
    You are very mature in your faith. I've been a Christian a long time, but I'm a very slow learner.
    Your writing is BEAUTIFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually think of it as a gift either! But more and more I've begun to feel like I'm wasting this time just wrestling to get to sleep! This is where they Holy Spirit stepped in. Who knows, maybe he's the one waking me up. Do I need to pray? Read his word? Insomnia can be the pits for sure and I'm so sorry your dealing with it to. I hope this helps you think about it differently! I pray the Lord meets with you the next time you wide awake in the middle of the night!

      Delete
  7. Dear Stephani
    Yes, we who wrestle with insomnia have this choice to spent the waking hours nestled in His Loving Embrace!
    Luv XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Mia? I think insomnia must be more common than I realized. We're not alone, that's for sure!

      Delete
  8. Over the years I have tried to see my wakefulness as unexpected times with God. Your post helps to see that more clearly. Beautiful photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita! I'm a slow learner. It's taken me a while to get to this point of trying to embrace it rather than wrestle with it. Been missing you!

      Delete
  9. I've not yet struggled with this. Although if I wake up and have a hard time going back to sleep, I read scripture or encouraging blogs on my phone until I get tired again! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Stephani, I don't know how you function on such a little bit of sleep. If I wake up, and I often do, I will not get out of the bed. I just lay there and ponder and usually will drop back off to sleep. I use to never have sleepless nights but in the past 5 years there have been many. Wishing you nights filled with sweet, peaceful sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful thoughts! Thank you. I identify with the shortness of sleep and the pleasure of having quiet hours when sleep won't come. I would LOVE to have a long, good night of sleep but when it doesn't come I've learned not to fret. Use it wisely. And quietly!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great way to look at this. I have had many gifts come in the night to me when I could not sleep. A wonderful peaceful time for reflection.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!