July 2, 2013

A Day in July

I haven't kept a daybook entry since April so before July gets totally away from me I want to do that.  I have thought recently about this monthly daybook post, wondering if I should continue with it.  It's sort of old school blogging after all!  But, more and more I see the value of keeping it, and also in being more intentional with it by recording things that will matter to me or someone else later.  I don't want to just fill up a page.  I think this space is valuable, and I don't want to waste it.  

Today is . . .  July 1, 2013 - 9:38 PM

Outside my window . . . we had a bit of respite from the heat today only making it into the eighties.  Hubby made progress on the new porch.  I'm pretty excited about that.  I can see the end in sight!

I am hearing . . . the sound of the water hitting the squash plants as the sprinkler waves back and forth across the garden.

I am wearing . . . jeans and a t-shirt.

I am creating . . . a simpler, more orderly life.

I am looking forward to . . . seeing Dad tomorrow night.  He seems more needy lately so I anticipate an opportunity to relieve some of the pressure, even if for only a few moments.  The nurse practitioner told us today that he is deteriorating, and I have noticed it myself.

I am remembering . . . the qualities Dad used to have: his strength, his wisdom, his intelligence.  Alzheimer's has crippled that part of  him, but he is still compassionate, loves unconditionally, and honestly he is still wise  in his own way.  He can't process complex issues or make important decisions anymore, but I think wisdom is having knowledge and knowing how to apply it rightly.  I think he still knows how to apply the limited knowledge he has.  And he is still trying to honor his Lord in all he does. 

I am thanking God . . .that He is able to teach me about His very own character through my father.  I've learned a lot about God's love for me, and how he grieves for me when I err or am heartbroken.  I've learned it through my father.

I am praying . . . for the church worldwide, for God's truth to penetrate the hearts and minds of his people,  for false teachers and false doctrines to be abolished.  I'm praying that his people will be salt and light and remain true to the One True God.

I am noticing . . . that I like the results but don't always enjoy the process so much.  God is working on this area in my life, and I have to say it's been a bit of an ugly process.  It always is when we"kick against the pricks."

I am needing . . . to better understand God's grace. 

I am reading . . . Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle.  This book will have you laughing and crying, sometimes at the same time!  It is not just a book for mothers. I have enjoyed it thoroughly, and I am not a mother myself.  I highly recommend it!  You will so enjoy it!

A quiet time thought . . .  Whenever I hear myself (or the devil) saying, "surely God doesn't intend that," or "God can't possibly care about something so trivial," I need to remember the conversation the serpent had with Eve. Satan's been having this conversation with me lately, although I didn't recognize that it was him, and he's had me pinned against the wall with it until God recently showed me how the serpent was using the same old tricks. I was just a new Eve. I see it clearly now, and that snake has scurried away.  As long as we don't get it, he'll keep whispering over our shoulder, but once the Holy Spirit gets through to us, there's no use in him stickin' around.  But, he'll be back with some other angle; he's always right around the corner.  I'm so thankful for time spent with the Lord so that I can recognize the wrestling, and the unsettling that comes when the Holy Spirit is being challenged, and so thankful that He is always faithful!

Words to think about . . . "Never reserve anything.  Pour out the best you have and always be poor." Oswald Chambers

A random fact about me . . . I have to have my toenails painted.  Cannot go without nail polish on my toes!

One of my favorite things . . . my husband's garden.

A blessing captured . . . another photo of my husband sorting onions this week.



Sharing with The Simple Woman's Daybook.

14 comments:

  1. Well, I love Daybooks and am going to do one soon myself. I don't think they are old school at all and I thoroughly enjoyed yours. I love getting a glimpse into the daily lives of my blogging friends and this does it well.

    You are the 2nd or 3rd person that has mentioned Sparkly Green Earrings, so think I must read it.

    Have a grand 4th and sweetest blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lea, you'll love Sparkly Green Earrings. It's light reading and filled with laughter.

      Delete
  2. What a treat to peek into your world - your day! I pray for you as your father continues to decline. I understand the toll it takes but I'm so thankful you can see the man who God created him to be in it all.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrienne! You're always faithful to stop by. Appreciate you!

      Delete
  3. I can't imagine how hard it is to see your Dad's health decline. Sounds like you have a good perspective of it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try Mary, it's not easy. God continually has to readjust my attitude. I struggle with guilty, sadness, stress. But, I know ultimately that God's got it, and he isn't missing a thing!

      Delete
  4. I love this guided way that you are journaling. I am an avid journaler, and at first when I had my blog, thought that it would take the place of the journal, but have found that my journals are just as important, and have a totally different focus. How nice to see that someone else is doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanne! I've been hit and miss with handwritten journals - one reason I like keeping this regular post!

      Delete
  5. I love your Daybook entries. I should do them myself! Praying your visit with your father went well. I won Sparky Green Earrings recently and can't wait to read it! Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll be glad I kept up with this post - something to look back on later! You'll love Sparkly Green Earrings too Barbie!

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed this, Stephanie. Your comments about your dad made me tear up. I'm a care-giver for my dad who is 83. We just started 45 days of radiation treatments last week for prostate cancer. He is not in the same place as your dad is spiritually (you are blessed in that), but I try to honor God by honoring him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh June, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. My dad has prostate cancer too in addition to the Alzheimer's but it is being controlled with hormone therapy. Let's pray for your Dad to know the Lord and that he can be at peace in these twilight years, even in the midst of illness. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  7. yeah, it's hard to see your parents changing and being more vurnable

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!