June 29, 2013

In Between the Planting and the Eating



His hands, the hands of that love of mine, are often dredged in the dirt of the garden.  It’s really his garden even though I often refer to it as our garden.  He does all the hard work: the tilling, the planting, the watering, the weeding, the harvesting.  That’s where I enter in to help with preparing, and canning, and finally the eating.  But, I wonder what I’m missing in between the seed in the ground and the fruit in the mouth.  So I spend time in the garden, and I ponder it, and I think about life and arriving at destinations.


There’s a banquet table I plan to eat at someday; you know the one. Jesus will be our host.  We’ll feast like we’ve never feasted before, but there’s a journey in between the planting and the eating, in between the getting saved and the sitting down at that table.  We have a promised land to get to and to help others find, but there is traveling to do before we get there.  We aren’t just living for the destination; we’re living on the way. Without the journey, we won’t get there at all.  So we live, we work, we plant, we weed, we water, we harvest.  We get dirty doing the work now, but it’s a good dirty, the black under your fingernails kind of good.


We know that If we don’t do the work in between, the seeds will stay seeds.  If we do just a little work, the seeds become fruit, but they stay in the ground.  If we do much of the work, we have fruit in the ground but no harvest.  So we do all of the work we’ve been given to do, and on that day, the day we sit at His table, we’ll see what the labor was all about, and we’ll eat there together.


What about your in between?  What are you finding along the path as you journey on?
  
Today I'm sharing with Lisa Jo Baker and Five Minute Friday - Lisa Jo gives us a word prompt and we are to write for only five minutes.  
Today's prompt is IN BETWEEN.

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos and words - it's great to be reminded that it isn't just about the destination! It's the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great analogy. We sometimes get so focused on where we're headed, we forget that where we are right now is where the living takes place:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The challenge of enjoying the journey! Some days are harder than others. Love your perspective today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so well written and it perfectly describes great Biblical truth. You are so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, I definitely want to be an encourager!

      Delete
  5. So true! I'll see you at the party! :) ~sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such deep, spiritual truths shared today. Your photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said! The in-between is what some people forget. It's as important as the planting and the harvest and eating but we often think it's drudgery. Thank you for your words today. Yesterday my sweetheart and I did some planting - perhaps some watering, too. God led us to minister in a very practical way to someone we just met and we would LOVE to share the banquet that waits with them. See you at the banquet, my friend!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been praying that God would help me to honor him - even worship him in the minutiae of life. We do think of it as drudgery, but isn't easier to honor him in the grand things? I want to love him enough to honor him the unknown things - that's the place I'm trying to get to in my walk with him.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful - we just harvested our garlic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Patrice that sounds wonderful; we haven't ever planted garlic!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!