May 11, 2013

Mom ~ She Cared Enough To Send the Very Best

Wrapped in ribbon and stacked in boxes of hope in an old chest that she gave me, mother's letters rest, but her words still jump, and run, and gather speed with each passing year of my life.  I have them all - every single letter or card she ever gave me.  Somehow the good Lord saw fit long ago to give her words that I would need on numerous occasions in my life. I have often pulled out her hand-written notes to read over and over when I needed encouragement over the years.  I remember holding her written voice in my hands and listening, not always taking heed, but knowing the words were rich and worthy.  Now I take them out of my blessing box (That's what I call that special box that holds all things dear.), and I read the words as I ponder Mother's Day, and then I read them to her over the phone.  And now I see how the Lord saw fit long ago to give her words that she would need one day.  She spoke words long ago to minister healing into my heart and now they are bouncing back off the doorways of time right back  into her very own soul as I read, and she listens, and she can hardly believe she wrote the words.  Faith still comes for this 83 year old, but it comes harder and in fits and starts as the trials get deeper and the climb gets steeper.

When I was 22 and a senior in college, I went through a very difficult time.   These are just three of the notes that she wrote to me that year, but they are some of the favorite words I have received over time.  Maybe these words of hope will bring you or someone you love a similar comfort to that which I have found in them.




September 5, 1988

My dear Steph,

It grieves me and makes me feel sad that you are having these hard times to go through.  I guess mothers are never ready to see their children suffer.  I am praying much for you, and if your suffering causes you to depend on Christ and Him alone, then all the heartache will be worth it.  You are loved and little do you know the wonderful things God has in store for you if you will but trust and obey.

Under separate cover you will receive your new Bible.  Digest the words you read and let the Holy Spirit speak to you and guide you.

Love & Prayers
Mom




10-3-88

Dear Steph,

I think of you so much and pray for you with every thought.

Steph, it takes a long time for a pearl to be formed, and the beauty and value of that pearl depends on the color of the mollusk in which it is found - the same with a life.  The beauty of a life depends on the character of the one in which it is found - and that one is Jesus.  Even though on the outside that mollusk is going through all kinds of trauma, deep inside is a beautiful and precious gem being formed.  I am confident the same is happening with you as long as you allow Christ to enfold you with His love, care and protection.

Praise Him for all He is doing in your life.  He is worthy to be praised.  He is altogether lovely.  He is truth.  He has promised to never leave you nor forsake you.  Exert faith Steph, even when things look hopeless - that is real faith.  It doesn't take much faith when we can see.  Great faith comes when we can't see.

Jesus can be trusted.  You can rest in that.  Try to learn all you can about Him.

Love,
Mom

P.S.  Jesus heals the broken-hearted, but He wants all the pieces.



4-23-89

Dear Stephanie, (Mom always spelled my name with an "e" on the end even though it doesn't have one.)

Well, this will probably be my last letter to you during your college career.  It's been a growing up and maturing time - hard times, good times - sad times, happy times - and I've been emotionally up and down right along with you.  This is another milestone completed.  Not the last one, but a very important one.  I am proud of you and so is Daddy.  You've hung in there through some very hard times and probably no one realizes that like you do.  Seeing you grow spiritually and learning to fully trust Jesus is most gratifying to us.  You don't need to fear what comes next, because the Christ we serve has promised to direct our paths and to never leave us nor forsake us.  God is faithful. "And I am sure that he who has begun a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."  Phil. 1-6.

You can approach the future with confidence "for God did not give us a spirit of timidity but a spirit of power and love and self control." II Tim . 1:7.

Stephanie, you have many wonderful qualities.  Just remember, Satan works hardest on those that can be the greatest blessing so keep your hand in God's.  Don't struggle.  You can know peace as He leads you.

I love you.

As Always,
Mom

See you in a few days!



Happy Mother's Day to all of you Mothers that are reading this!  May the words of your mouths and the meditations of your hearts be acceptable in his sight, and may you speak truth and life and love into the lives of your children, and may they be words of eternal value that will speak to them again and again throughout the years.  May you be blessed because you've been a blessing

13 comments:

  1. Your mother and her letters were surely a treasure! This was just beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my, what beautiful words and what a treasure that you have held on to them. I, too, have the letters my Mom wrote me over the years and they were many because "snail mail" was our main communication for many, many years. I haven't had them out in years but reading this makes me want to go and get them out. I married and moved 1000 miles away from my Momma and I did not know if I would survive, but each time she wrote she encouraged me and I did survive. Great post Stephani!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we've lost something with text and email because I don't know that people are printing off the wise words they get through those messages. I hope so! I hope even more that the lost art of writing letters will come back!

      Delete
  3. How precious are these letters and what a wonderful testimony to the faithfulness of God's word that you are now able to share them with your Mother for her comfort and encouragement!
    May God richly bless you both for your faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful, Staphani (e)! Such keepsakes. I have 2 moms...one a very special aunt like you are...enjoy this day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita! I'd like to meet that aunt someday . . . and your mom . . . and well, of course you - face to face!

      Delete
  5. Oh Stephani, what a tremendous blessings to have these words from your mom, to refer back to and to give her hope and courage as well. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephani -
    Words don't say how deeply this post touched my heart. My mother wrote letters and notes through the years and I didn't keep them! I've often wished I had them. My dear, little mother is still quite active. Thank you for the reminder of the value of a Godly mother who really loves us - and the importance to treasure every moment.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Adrienne! I'm so sorry you didn't keep them, but glad you have a godly mother that is still active whom you gain rich wisdom from!

      Delete
  7. A nice tribute to your mom and thanks for the encouragement to me, a mother, at the end of the post. My mom was faithful to write to me every week I was in college. It definitely kept us connected, as I wasn't as faithful to write that frequently. I'm so thankful for texts, emails and FB to keep connected to my kids. Still can't beat the impact of a handwritten/signed card in the mailbox, though.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that I can text and email my nieces right when they are on my mind, but they also have handwritten notes from. I have no idea whether they have saved them or not though! The main thing is that we usher God's truth into their lives! Blessing to you too!

      Delete
  8. What a treasure trove of wisdom that you can refer to any time. You were indeed blessed to have such a caring mother. Not everyone has that gift.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To be a mom such as this. To live my letters. Such a gift. Thank you for sharing.

    It's a delight to meet you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a refreshing place to dip into some serious goodness.

    Splashin'
    Sarah
    www.justsarahdawn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!