April 6, 2013

Whose Fault Is It?


We complain about our circumstances, our capabilities, and our condition, giving excuse to the mire in which we sit.

If we are to be honest with ourselves about the origin of the suffocating atmosphere in which we sometimes live,  we will have to look hard and long in the mirror and know that the problem is so often not what is around us, but within us.

As God's children, we lack nothing.  So this timid, weak, ineffective life that Ms. Brown describes happens when God's provision lies rusting at our feet, unopened, unused, untapped. 

A grand life?  An abundant life?  It doesn't come to the passive.  It comes as we embrace the work of the cross and grab hold of the promises that flow as easily from the life of Jesus as did the blood.  We turn away from the cross, it's power and it's provision, when we are passively disobedient through laziness, procrastination, and indifference.  These three words imply inactivity, doing nothing, idleness. We are as guilty of sin when we don't do something we know we should as when we do something we know we shouldn't.

Has life stalled? Finding it hard to breath? Wondering where that grand life is?  God works from the inside out.  Sins of omission can keep us in a very discontented state, and blaming our circumstances, our capabilities, or our condition, keeps us looking into a cracked mirror, refusing to see things as they really are.

The beauty of this realization is that if we find ourselves in this poor state, we can do something about it!  If none of this is our fault, and we are victims, what hope do we have?  But we're not victims!  If we have surrendered our lives to Christ then we are children of a King who has provided us with promises of spiritual abundance. These promises fulfilled in our lives become evident when we don't turn away from the work he did on the cross by indulging in slothful inactivity or indifference.

I'm guilty.  I'm forgiven.  I'm hopeful.  And I'm watching God's grand life unfold.  Join me!

Sharing With:
(Pursuing Excellence is a regular weekly post of A Defined Life.)

5 comments:

  1. I so enjoyed reading this post! We should live big and boldly because of what He has done. Loved this: "It comes as we embrace the work of the cross and grab hold of the promises that flow as easily from the life of Jesus as did the blood. "

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. You are honest. And you write beautifully. And your pictures are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even with health issues, I am watching God work in my life and oh, what a grand life it is. This post is such an encouragement, Stephani.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just this week I started having to go to comment moderation for all comments. Spam was rearing its ugly head on my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am guilty, forgiven and hopeful too! So thankful for His grace that covers where I lack.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!