April 12, 2013

Finding Jesus on Friday at Five O'Clock

On any given Friday afternoon the classroom building where my office is located, is mostly abandoned.  There are no classes held in the late of the day on the final stretch of the school week, so the halls grow dim and quiet.  On occasion you will see a student sitting cross legged on an oversize chair in the corner with a textbook on her lap, or a group of friends gathered on the couches of the first floor near the big screen monitors that splash news and stock quotes, feet propped up on the coffee table, laughter echoing in the otherwise empty halls.  The secretary responsible for locking classroom doors and turning off hallway lights makes her trek around the building, often before my day comes to a close, leaving dark corridors to wind through on my way out. 

While navigating the halls at the end of a Friday, my eyes scanned the announcements covering bulletin boards and filling display cases in the stairwell and near the exit.  There were notices about clubs, meetings, workshops, and campus activities. I didn't see Jesus' name anywhere.  The name Christian didn't pop out at me, not even the word God or god. I walked the length of the dark, empty hallway of this public institution and said, "Lord, I wish your name was everywhere and that everyone loved you.  I wish - I wish everyone was a Christian."


That's when He reminded me of the significance of the events encased within the walls of my office and in this academic building.  It is here where my vocation becomes a mission field - a mission field no less significant than Swaziland, where my church members serve or New Guinea, where I was born. 

A lost soul is a lost soul no matter what land they come from. 

It is here where I meet one-on-one with hundreds throughout the year who come to me with their needs. It is here where fears are challenged and conquered, tears are shed and dried, dreams are born and pursued, paths are forged and followed.  Questions are answered here in this place, and I have the only answer that really matters.

Called to serve right where we are, our vocation becomes our mission field.
  What a responsibility.  What a privilege

Today I'm sharing with:  Five Minute Friday (Today's word prompt is HERE), Spiritual SundaysWeekend Brew ,
 and Faith Filled Friday


14 comments:

  1. Stephani, this is so inspiring! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how God inspires me through the seemingly simple happenings of my life. Glad you could take something from this! He's always teaching, loving, whispering in my ear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephani,
    Loved your picture and your post. I could imagine your walk, your reflections, and your prayer for the students that normally fill that place.

    Laura Hedgecock
    http://www.TreasureChestofMemories.com/blog
    http://www.Twitter.com/LauraLHedgecock

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a profound post and such truth. We cannot forget that wherever we are, it is our mission field. I'm certain that you are such a blessing to all who come in contact with you during your days work. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lea, it seems the Lord always sends a broken-winged bird into my office just about the time I begin to question why I do what I do. When I ask, "Am I really supposed to be here in this place doing this?" God opens the door to my office and in walks someone who didn't know where else to go. It's humbling, and I lose sight of it all too often.

      Delete
  5. Thank to you for sharing this simple truth today. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Our vocation becomes a mission field." Love that. How we need Christians in our schools. I have a daughter studying elementary ed/special needs. She attended a private school for 13 years yet God is calling her to the public system as a missionary. I hope she has someone like you to share with when she walks through those doors. God provided a Christian for one of her practicums this semester which was a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your daughter will find someone to connect with. We can pray that she will and that she'll have the strength to stand alone when necessary!

      Delete
  7. Yes, we are each missionaries right where are, sometimes even in our own homes. I know you're a bright light for Jesus at your university.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. Yes, even in our own homes.

      Delete
  8. Beautifully inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!