April 15, 2013

Capturing Life

The lake was a bustling on Sunday afternoon with walkers, cyclists, Frisbee throwers, sunbathers, wind surfers, and the occasional convertible with it's top down.  But a Sunday afternoon in Oklahoma just wouldn't be complete without a little bow fishin'.




I've actually heard some photographers say they don't even carry their camera during the middle of the day when the sun is high and the light is not at it's best for optimum photos.


I have to beg to disagree.  Is it about optimum light, or is is about capturing life? 


Sure, these photos might have been more brilliant had they been taken during the golden hour before the sun sets.  But then again, all I would have had was the water and weeds because this fisherman was long gone by then.

A whole lot of life happens in the middle of the day.




12 comments:

  1. Wow! I learned something about fishing and light! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew about bow fishing. Thank you for sharing through your beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful shots and you are so right. It's about capturing life when it happens and not always about staging that 'perfect' shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph, I couldn't agree more...it is about capturing life. Most of the time...I have no choice but to shoot in the middle of the day...it is better than missing the moment. My husband will love seeing this post...he is a fishermen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree--so many moments would be missed. Love this series :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! I take my camera out at all times of the day. Sometimes the glare is a problem, but not with these shots. I think these look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. bow-fishing?!? wow! I've never seen such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ladies! Bow fishing is done with a bow and arrow (obviously) that is attached to a line that you use to reel the fish in. It is only legal to hunt certain types of fish this way. Anyway, glad you learned something new today! :)

      Delete
  8. That's awesome! I never knew there was a such thing as now fishing! Impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree, it is about capturing the moment as best you can. The moment is NOW not when the light best suits.

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had never heard of bow fishing until last weekend when one of our friends took his grown sons to South Louisiana to bow fish. Funny, I've now heard of it twice in one week. Looks most interesting for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic shots! I need to tell my brother about bow-fishing - he has several bows + loves fishing (he usually spears/pole fishes).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!