March 27, 2013

They Want Out, Jesus Wants In

The sign on the outside of the door says, "Risk of Elopement."  They're trying to get out, but Jesus is trying to get in. Through three steel doors and a security check, Jesus walks in on feet not his. He's looking to heal hearts and mend cracked minds.

It's our fourth round of visits in three years.  We've been there several days this week already, and we can't carry in purses or bags, but we can carry in hope and healing to the broken winged like Little Bird.  Behind the steel doors they find themselves there for different reasons.  Sometimes drugs and alcohol have seeped through the cracks and caused temporary damage, sometimes it's permanent. When its permanent, they take medicine so they can live a "normal" life.  If they quit taking it, they find themselves behind the steel doors again trying to elope, but not with the woman or man of their dreams. Sometimes they just have damaged souls from the continual absence of love and grace and mercy in their lives. Sometimes it's not what they've not been given, it's what they have been given: hate, ridicule, abuse, and then sometimes, they are just born broken, but not usually, in fact it's rare.  Usually, the ravages of sin, their sin or the sin of others inflicted upon them repeatedly, has sent their minds as far from this painful place called reality as they can possibly get.  Their minds break as a means of self preservation.

So, we become His feet.  When we, all of us,  become His feet, there is no place Jesus cannot go.  There is no one that Jesus cannot touch.  There is no one that will not hear, even those locked in broken minds and behind steel doors.


We, my husband and I,  pull up chairs and sit next to Little Bird in the community visiting room.  We at the end of one table,  a group of two at the other end, and two more at the table behind us.  As the couple at the end of the table bows their heads to pray, I become aware that God has more than four feet in this place tonight.  He has six. And soon I realize He has eight feet when the woman with the long brown hair sitting behind us takes the hands of her own broken winged bird and prays in Jesus name.  All the visitors tonight are taking Jesus in.  Yes. Tonight, Jesus has eight feet, and three broken winged birds find grace.  There's a chance they just may fly again.  There's hope that they may just find their nest again.

Tears begin to roll out of uncertain eyes as regret and awareness of reality begin to become more clear.  And we crack open that book, Jesus Calling, before hopelessness can take root, and Jesus begins to move.  Jesus was behind those steel doors now, and He would speak, "Trust Me and don't be afraid, for I am your strength and song.  Think what it means to have Me as your strength.  I spoke the universe into existence; My power is absolutely unlimited! Human weakness, consecrated to Me, is like a magnet, drawing My power into your neediness.  However, fear can block the flow of My strength into you.  Instead of trying to fight your fears, concentrate on trusting Me.  When you relate to Me in confident trust, there is no limit to how much I can strengthen you. Remember that I am also your song.  I want you to share My joy, living in conscious awareness of My Presence.  Rejoice as we journey together toward heaven; join Me in singing My song."(Sarah Young, Jesus Calling).

Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid.  The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.  With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation." 
 Isaiah 12:2-3


Tears roll heavier now, and we talk about grace, and we talk about records expunged and how God doesn't punish illness, that broken ones don't need to seek forgiveness for being sick, that our weakness doesn't disappoint God, only our lack of trust does. Harder now, he cries as this overwhelming love cannot be grasped.  We hold hands and we pray to this great God who finds his way in where the broken live.  We get up to go and hug goodbye and we leave that Jesus Calling book with him to read and find truth, and we realize he doesn't have a Bible there to read the scripture references so until we can get one to him, we tell him to call and we will read them over the phone.  And he does call.  He calls to hear the scriptures.  That baptized boy who loves Jesus and keeps seeking him through his muddled mind, listens to the Word over the phone and Jesus is still getting in.  Jesus is behind the steel doors, and he'll keep going where the feet of the willing carry Him.

Even the sparrow has found a home,  and the swallow a nest for herself,  
where she may have her young
a place near your altar, Lord Almighty, my King and my God.
Psalm 84:3 

Are you broken?  Please know you are not unreachable.  God knows no limits.  He has feet that go, He has voices that speak, and He has fingers that type.  And just in case he tries to send stubborn feet that won't move or trembling lips that won't speak, He will still find his way in because he loves you so.  He is where you are.  Just whisper his sweet name and you'll find he's already there.

Sharing With:
#TellHisStory

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful devotional. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Parsley! So good to see your name in my box! Thanks for checking in!

      Delete
  2. This is an Easter story. Thanks for sharing, Stephani. Praying for Little Bird and for you and your husband. Such examples of grace and love. May the Lord provide healing for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend! You've been with me for a long time!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! I love it when Jesus comes in and makes a difference! Thank you for taking Him to places often forgotten.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the circumstances of life take us to the forgotten places and then those places become a part of who we are and we have to keep going back. Once our eyes have seen, they don't forget. I pray I'll never forget when God shows me not only in the broken, but in the blessing of burden.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, what a powerful post. I was thinking of my son the entire time, praying that people like you will happen upon the path he is walking, and help him find his way. God bless all of you for the wonderful work you do in His name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey friend! :) I've sent you an email!

      Delete
  5. Oh how my heart stirs with your writing. I go in to the jails every Saturday night. Oh how Jesus does want in there. Into their hearts. Many are receptive for which I'm so grateful. Some are hard-hearted as they aren't sure how to trust anyone, let alone a Savior. Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to meet you Alene! I'm hopping over to your blog to respond to this and see more about your heart for these wounded ones.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!