March 15, 2013

The Sham

"Eternity is not good for shams.  In its clear light the false selves that we have wrought about us like a garment will shrivel and fall away.  Whatever we really are, that let us be, in all fearlessness.  Whatever we are not, that let us cease striving to seem to be.  If we can rid ourselves of all untruth of word, manner, mode of life and thinking, we shall rid our lives of much rubbish, restlessness, and fear.  Let us hide nothing, and we shall not be afraid of being found out.  Let us put on nothing, and we shall never cringe.  Let us assume nothing, and we shall not be mortified.  Let us do and say nothing untrue, and we shall not fear to have the deepest springs of our lives sought out, nor our most secret motive analyzed.  Nothing gives such upright dignity of mien as the consciousness, 
'I am what I pretend to be.  About me there is no make-believe.'"
 ~ Anna Robertson Brown ~

I suppose it's human nature to want to impress others, to try and amp up our own personalities, habits, activities, and accomplishments to resemble something acceptable in another's eyes.  Maybe it's normal to feel that in the raw of who we really are we simply aren't lovable, and that somehow we may even be shockingly repulsive.  I know I have those thoughts that goad, "If so-and-so knew such-and-such, they would be mortified!"

But should human nature pilot our being?  

What is human nature but a garment we should peel off so that we can wrap ourselves in the very nature of Christ himself?


 God grant me the courage to be radically obedient and authentically yours.  May I stand naked and unashamed because I have nothing to hide.  Scrutinize me and shake loose the barnacles of pride and aggrandizement.  May I never misrepresent who I am or try to be anyone other than who you created me to be.  May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Sharing with:

16 comments:

  1. "Let us hide nothing, and we shall not be afraid of being found out."


    Praying with you. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, and so true. "Should human nature pilot our being?" I have been going over this sort of question in my own mind so much lately. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much beauty in your thoughts and photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well written. You are doing God's work right here on your blog, encouraging others and revealing truth. May more souls see and understand. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this touches so deeply- beautifully said. Thank you for the lift I needed today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes yes and yes to this. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful and my heart is truly touched by your prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. We need more real deep people, not superficial. I pray God will nudge me when I tend to lend to the superficial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that is a radical prayer! What a challenge! You, go girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful... touched my heart and spirit. And ended my thought with "AMEN!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love this Psalm! I may have to say this aloud each morning. Thank you for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read this before church and just read it again...before dinner. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The courage to be authentic and the person God created me to be is my desire but oh the flesh battles my spirit and I sad to say often wins. Your post has encouraged me to fight the fight. " What is human nature but a garment we should peel off so that we can wrap ourselves in the very nature of Christ himself?"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!