March 2, 2013

When You Hit a Wall


I've heard myself say it before, "I don't see anything but a blank wall in front of me!"  What do you do when the road stretched out stops short, and the wall is right in front of you like it grew up out of the ground overnight? That yellow stripe in the middle of the highway leads nowhere but to a wall.  No way around them it seems. I've tried to walk straight through them, only to bang my nose and stub my toes.  When failure strikes, too often I either throw up my hands and walk away, or worse, fall down and get comfortable in the mire.  After all, I'm getting bruised from the effort, and I can just lay out here in the middle of the road, there's no more traffic here now.

But what if the wall isn't a wall at all?

"Sometimes all people can see right in front of them is a wall, but if they will step back a little bit, what they think is a wall is actually just a bigger step." ~ Dick Horton

These words rang in my ear like the Hallelujah Chorus, and the breath just swooped right out of me. In the life of God's child, isn't a wall really always a bigger step, or even a door?




Isn't it always God's intent to take us up, and over, and through?
 
"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." ~ Romans 8:28




His methods may not be our methods (Thank Him for that!), but if they make us more like Him, and if they keep us us on his path, and divert us from our own, shouldn't we step back and pray for eyes that see like his?  Eyes that will see a bigger step, or a doorknob to grab a hold of?

"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord.  “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts." ~ Isaiah 55:8-9




Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” ~ Matthew 11:28-20

 Are you facing a wall in your life?  It just grew right up in front of you.  You were able to step over it for awhile, but before you knew it, you couldn't see anything but a blinding darkness blocking the Son.  I've been there too.  What is your wall?  Past sin.  Divorce.  Infertility.  Job Loss.  Debt.  Unsaved loved ones.  Illness. Bad habits. Self. Loss of the familiar.  I've stared at all of these, wide eyed and blind.  If there is a wall in your life, won't you face it with the God of goodness and grace and holiness?  Step back and ask Father God to give you eyes wide open. Obedient eyes.  Faithful eyes.  Holy eyes.  You'll find that bigger step or that doorknob that opens a door to where he is leading.   The walls themselves don't necessarily mean you've gotten off His path.  Sometimes they do, but sometimes they are part of the path, and you are right where he intended, sitting on the potters wheel. 

 "And yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, and you are the potter. We all are formed by your hand." ~ Isaiah 64:8




Today I'm sharing with:

25 comments:

  1. Very encouraging post, filled with scripture and heartfelt thoughts. Thank you for sharing this today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old brass, and creamy white, and crystal knobs on paneled doors ~ all carry deeper meaning if you linger a while ... so like our Lord's scripture. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems to me that sometimes Christ says yes to my ambitions. Sometimes he says no, and sometimes he says go slow. Is it like that for you? 'Course the big next step is for me to adhere to what he's saying and accept it if it crosses with my wishes. Not sure if it's just a "guy thing" or not, or maybe I'm especially stubborn but that's how its been for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think this is exactly what I'm saying! Sometimes the "wall" is a "No." from God. Do we just keep trying to plow through or accept that he has something better in mind? I pray that his ambitions will mine rather than me hoping he'll bless something I've come up with on my own. I want his desires to be my desires! Thanks for your thoughts!

      Delete
  4. Great post! I love Romans 8:28 -- I hang my hat on it quite a bit on tough days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful words and some lovely images!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God has gifted you with writing. I'm sure you've helped many today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, it's always good to see your name in my comment box, and you humble me with your words. Whatever good I have to offer is definitely all for God! I hope I can use it to help even one. Have a great week!

      Delete
  7. Love this inspiration this morning, Stephani ... and those pictures say it all ... just super!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was just beautiful and something I needed to read this morning. I am now following your blog and look forward to reading more :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicki! So glad to meet you! I'm glad you were able to take something from this post!

      Delete
  9. Yes, looking to Him for those open doors :) Beautiful words and truth. Love those old knobs...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the old door knob look. The pictures and verses were great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First, your pictures really spoke to me. And your writing is just beautiful. Words like "wall," "holy eyes," and doorknob all jumped out at me, giving me hope and the peace I so desperately needed tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela, I appreciate your kind words, and I'm so glad that you found a little hope and peace here. I'm breathing a word of prayer for you.

      Delete
  12. Great post! Lately, I haven't been looking at the wall in front of me as perhaps a bigger step. I am going to step back and take a better look :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbie, I know of some of the walls you've been facing, and I will continue to pray that God's direction will be made plain to you!

      Delete
  13. I love the visuals that you used with this post. Great word. So glad you linked up with SDG.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect for me right now...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, Stepahanie, this is lovely. And I love those door photos! Gorgeous. You know what I thought of as soon as I started reading? How, after Jesus' resurrection, the disciples were all huddled together in one place with the door locked. And Jesus walked right in. Through that locked door. He does that, doesn't He? Walks right through the locked doors of our hearts and transforms everything. I'm so glad you linked up with Playdates with God this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!