March 12, 2013

No Room For Ingratitude

 "If you refuse to see God in his gifts, they will turn out not to be gifts but High Court evidence of ingratitude." ~ John Piper~

In the whirlwind of events in my life, time has escaped me.  I've been totally unaware of it recently, time that is.  I've been counting gifts and entering them on that digital journal on my phone, but it's been three weeks since I added them to this space.   I've learned that work and responsibility are good, but when you realize your gratitude journal is looking lean then maybe it's time to step back and see the glory in all of it.  So today I simply continue with the count.

1432. We had snow almost three weeks ago.  I was grateful for it then, and even more grateful that we didn't get the blizzard that was forecasted.  In some ways I would have loved to have been snowed in, bundled up with a good book, watching my world turn white, and if that would have happened I would have been grateful for the blizzard too, but the last time we had a blizzard, the pipes froze. : \  Ahhh, but in all things we can be thankful, and should be.

1433.  Cleaning the house.  I felt like I was cleaning my soul!  It's amazing how peaceful the house feels when it is clean and everything is in it's place.  I think God's voice can get muddled in the messes we create, not silenced, but when it has to compete with our distractions we don't always hear him.  Maybe cleanliness really is next to godliness . . .

1434. The memory support unit where dad lives was locked down because of a terrible virus going through.  Amazingly enough, he didn't get sick, but he had to go without visitors for a few days.  I'm thankful he didn't get sick, and I'm thankful he still has that doctor's heart that wanted to help the other people.

1435.  Orange peels and a cinnamon stick simmering on the stove.  An inexpensive alternative to a Yankee Candle and a good way to make the house smell really good. 

1436.  A sweet text from my stepson, "I love you, Stephani. Thank you for being you and for being you in my life."  So undeserved, but sweet and cherished just the same.

1437.  Mom has fallen two more times since the last time I shared with you.  I'm thankful that God has either given her strong bones or maybe more likely he sent an angel to buffer her fall.  She's in a lot of pain right now though, so prayers are appreciated.

1438.  New perspective about bad habits

1439.  That mouthwatering, tangy feeling you get in your mouth and below your ears just from the sour smell of a homemade pickle.  And then when you bite into it, the juicy goodness is simply the best!

1440.  The smell of fresh strawberries

1441.  Orange juice in the morning

1442.  New refreshment, focus, energy, and weight loss from a partial fast.  I'm on day 18 of a 21 day fruit and vegetable fast.  I'm not sure what I will do after day 21.  I'm going to just pray about it to see when it will end.  I may continue; I may switch to juice only, or I may start adding other foods slowly.  We shall see . . .

1443.  New touches to my blog.  I hired a blog designer and it didn't really work out.  I couldn't effectively communicate what I wanted or get the desired result I was looking for.  It turned out that I decided I really like my blog design and only wanted to make a few changes.  I made those changes and am now working with another designer to make networking icons for me.  I'm excited about that! 

1444.  The opportunity to read to Mom. I bought her a book titled, "Living With Purpose in a Worn Out Body" by Missy Buchanan.  If you have friends or relatives living in assisted living or who are struggling with old age.  I highly recommend this book.  It is an easy read in large print.  Mom says that the book expresses exactly what it's like to be old and face the challenges she is facing.

1445.  A surprise text from an old college buddy wanting to plan a girls weekend.  My niece texted the other day wanting to plan a girls weekend as well so I'm going to try and work it out!  I haven't left this state in a long time!

1446.  God answering Mom's prayer for help by sending a special nurse to talk to her.  Mom said, "I prayed that God would send someone to help me, and he sent Lea Anna."

1447.  Chris, the waiter in the dinning room where Mom lives.  He brings her a cup of pineapple every night at dinner without her asking.  He does it because he knows she likes it.  He doesn't even work in her area, he works in independent living and makes the effort to go to assisted living to give her a treat.

1448.  The creek of old doors. 

1449.  My stepson was baptized on Sunday!  He has been on a long difficult journey, but is doing really well.  God's hand on his life has been nothing short of miraculous. There have been clear answers to prayer in his life, answers that I can see and feel and touch.  Sometimes it's important to see the clear evidence of prayer.  It strengthens our faith.

Rather than a  photo of a blessing captured, this week I have a video to share.  I saw this video for the first time recently.  It is an amazing video that I hope you will take the time to watch.  It is about 20 minutes long, so you will have to plan a time and place where you can watch it, but I promise it will be worth it.  It may also help you understand a little bit better what this count I record is really all about.  I found the video to be a true blessing.


Today I am sharing with Ann Voskamp and others who are sharing gratitude at A Holy Experience.  You can share your own list on her blog, which is what I do, or you can share through twitter or other networking sites.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, counting is good for our hearts. I really must begin again. I see a correlation with hearing God and cleaning my house every time. It's so true that the messes we create in the physical create muddles messes in the spiritual. I am so sorry about your mom falling. I will definately be keeping her in prayer. I love the layout of your blog and thankful that you are able to do the minor changes yourself. I am sorry the designer didn't work out for you. Praying you have a beautiful tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!