February 15, 2013

Holding My Father's Hand


Just before saying our goodbyes to Mom we closed the devotional book we had just read from, we grabbed hold of the hand of the one next to us and formed a circle of three right there in her new living room on the main floor of assisted living. My husband led us in prayer and spoke words to God that were meant to lend hope and comfort to this woman going through yet another transition.  But it wasn't his words as much as his hands that brought comfort to me.  They always do.  These hands that are chock full of the gift of helps.

 After the amen I said to Mom, "Take hold of his hand again. Do you feel the strength?"  I'm not sure why, but I hoped in that moment as he cupped her small, cold, frail hand in his large, warm, strong one that she would find comfort.  My husband's hands have always been the epitome of strength to me.  They symbolize protection, companionship and friendship.


And then I find this verse from that love letter from God in Isaiah 41:13, "For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, do not fear; I will help you." He HOLDS our hand!  I am so overwhelmed with this picture of Great God holding my hand because I know firsthand what safety in strong hands feels like, and yet I know the hands of my earthly beloved pale in comparison to my eternal Beloved.  Breath sweeps out of my lungs as I walk hand in hand with this One who loves me so deeply.  And now I can connect it for my mother.  Strong hands like her son-in-laws, or mine, or anyone else's can't replace the strength she used to find in my father's before it was zapped by Alzheimer's and old age, but it doesn't have to because her creator God, her Abba Father HOLDS her hand.


 Just this week I shared with you Zephaniah 3:17 and declared in marvel that he SINGS over us!

 And so now I am plum out of breath as I am confronted with this unmistakeable fact that my creator holds my hand and sings over me.

He is holding your hand and singing over you as well! Won't you close your eyes and find a picture of this love that your Beloved has for you?  Go to that place in your spirit where you can walk hand in hand with Him, and be awestruck by this perfect, perfect love.

On Friday's Lisa Jo gives us a word prompt.  We are to write for 5 minutes.  Today's word prompt is BELOVED.

Also sharing with Spiritual Sundays and The Weekend Brew

15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post of the strength of hands and the love they can transfer.....So glad you and your hubby are able to visit your Mom and remind her of the days that your Dad held her hands with strength...

    I have always loved the Scripture where it says God has our name engraved on His palms....Such a comfort to know our Father provides all we need with His strong hands...

    By the way, I feel the same way about my hubby's hands. I even wrote about it in my post yesterday. I would love to share that with you....

    Happy Weekend....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I really enjoyed reading this. Thank you so much for sharing. Makes me want to go hold my hubby's hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another inspiring post and photos accompanying your words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. I find the same comfort in my husband's hands and it it his hand that first attracted me. Thank you for helping me imagine holding my heavenly father's hand. Oh, the strength in that image; the warmth and confidence in that concept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thankful the Lord gives us these images in scripture and doesn't leave us wondering. His word is rich. I'm glad the image was a blessing!

      Delete
  5. Hi Stephani
    Over via Charlotte's. oh, what joy to have a Pappa God who holds our hand and rejoices over us with singing! I relate to your feelings about your husband's hands for mine works just as hard to provide for me and our children. And the best is to know that they live our Lord.
    Much love
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it about hands? They represent so much! They work hard, they caress, they heal, they love, they teach. It seems the hands of the important people in our lives mean so much!

      Delete
  6. Hi Stephani,
    What a treat to open this post and see one of my favorite pictures of all time--your husband handing you the wildflower--such a perfect picture of God's help to your mom during that difficult time.

    Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this photo too! Obviously! I hope my readers don't get tired of seeing it because I'm sure it will pop up again!

      Delete
  7. This is truly beautiful. The Creator God, holding my hand. Oh what strength!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbie, God is causing me to slow down and see these beautiful images in his word. Can we fall if God is holding our hand? It is a beautiful image of strength.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful post. So good that he sings over our moms and holds their hands. Mine is adjusting to assisted living as well. It is so, so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry about your Mom, but as with myself can trust that she is being well taken care of. It is a tough journey, but God knows all about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!