January 11, 2013

Dive


I have to ask myself, "What am I plunging into intentionally?"  That's what we do when we dive into something; we plunge intentionally.  My mind is racing back and forth, scanning, scanning, scanning, for any trace of anything that I am diving into - plunging myself into intentionally, and I realize, I don't dive.  I don't dive into water, and I don't dive into life either.  Unless, of course, you count chocolate chunk cookies or caramel brownies, I plunged right into those without restraint over the holidays! But when it comes to living life abundantly, I don't plunge.  When given a new opportunity I always mull it over, analyze it, think about, and come up with all the cons before the pros. I never throw caution to the wind. Plunging in is scary.  Plunging in is risky.  I'm afraid of what could go wrong and what failing might mean for me.  Even when the idea is mine, I don't plow full steam ahead. I'm more like The Little Engine that Could, inching my way to the finish line.  
 
 
Our Christmas camping trip wouldn't have happened if it weren't for my husband, and the whole thing was my idea.  I thought it would be so neat to camp on Christmas day, hang lights on our tent, and set up a Christmas tree.  It would be even better if it snowed because how pretty would that be?  But as the day to leave approached, and the weather prospects worsened, suddenly I wasn't seeing a peaceful, white blanket.  I was seeing cold, frostbitten toes sludging through mud.  The picture in my mind was shifting and diving right in to this new adventure didn't seem so romantic.  But we went, only because my husband wouldn't let me quit.  We were cautious by being prepared, but we were by no means going to abandon this whimsical idea.  And you know what?  It was pretty close to my idyllic vision of what it could be.  Not exactly, but pretty close.  

 
I learned a lot from that trip about seizing the moment.  I try to live moment by moment.  That's what this blog is about, but I want those moments to be filled with substance, memories I can grab a hold of.  So, I'm putting on my diving gear in 2013.

{I shared the above photos in a post last week. Sorry for the repeat for those who have already seen these!  I hope to post some new photos from the trip soon!}

Today I'm sharing with Five Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and asked to right for only five minutes!  Today's word is DIVE.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Stephani! My post followed yours today on 5 Minute Friday so I'm stopping by to say hello. My post and your post could be great friends! I consider myself adventurous, but I also have the part of me that hangs back because I'm afraid the moment won't match my dream of it. I'm saying a prayer for us both right this very minute that we will both dive head first into 2013, even when we're uncomfortable and would rather play it safe! Amen!

    P.S. I enjoyed your post and your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Stephani: What a dear post, and a wonderful opportunity to dive you took on that camping trip for Christmas. It looks beautiful and awesome and amazing!! Totally worth the dive. Best wishes in your diving deep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lve the honesty of your post. It's good to be cautious, but not so much that it prevents you from enjoying life. Your husband counterbalances your cautious side. Glad you went camping on Christmas. What a wonderful memory y'all created.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not one who enjoys taking risks. I don't plunge either, unless it's knee deep into chocolate or coffee. I am praying this year I learn how to go out on a limb. Have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the camping trip shots!! fun!

    sorry to hear about your challenges {ie mom}. there truly are so many seasons in life, huh?

    blessings to you this new year, friend!
    love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post Stephani...it got me excited...I want to grab more of the moments in 2013! XO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!