January 26, 2013

Again

For the second time in two years we packed up boxes and moved furniture.

We found ourselves sifting through drawers and searching behind doors for which items should be given away, which should be sold, and which should be moved to her new residence.

Words to explain to an 83 year old woman about why she couldn't keep her mother's armoire were hard to come by as we pared down her belongs one more time.

The challenge to keep as many personal items near her as possible so she could continue to touch and feel and think about the memories attached, was great but necessary.

Realizing that this move to assisted living could very well be her last move, was a vivid reality as she yearned to make this new place as homey as possible.

Yes, again this week, we found ourselves in the unenviable position of turning mom's world upside down.  No matter how good it will be for her, and no matter how much I know she will enjoy it in the long run,  I can't help but be cognizant of the fact that her twilight hours are getting dimmer and this move  makes the setting sun seem so much closer.

 Mom and me. She took care of me when I couldn't take care of myself. Now, I take care of her.

 "Dear sweet Lord, bless my dear mom in the days and weeks ahead as she again faces a new environment with new neighbors, new challenges, and new joys.  Help her to find her place there and her purpose in your plan.  Be her companion.  Be her comfort.  Be her Christ."

Sharing today with Five Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for five minutes flat. Today's (yesterday's) prompt is AGAIN.

21 comments:

  1. This was beautiful Stephani. I just lost my father New Years Eve. He never had to move out of his house. My mom is still there and is not as attached to it and her things as my father was. This is a difficult time but wonderful that you are there sharing it with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you lost your father, but I'm glad he never had to leave his house. It such a challenge for them. I'm glad your parents have you as mine have me and my siblings!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful and moving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh honey. i'm praying for you both!! i recently moved my dad to illinois from texas and i can feel myself saying this same prayer sooner than i want.
    praying for you dear one!
    Shannon (visiting from your link at lisa jo's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prayers Shannon! They are much needed and appreciated!

      Delete
  4. I know that had to be hard to go through, but thank you for sharing that with such wonderful words. I'm sure your mother knows how much you love her and that God hears your prayers for her. I pray those things for her as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh sweetheart, sending prayers up. I haven't yet had to face this with my parents. Praying that her transition goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbie! I appreciate your prayers!

      Delete
  6. Sending prayers, hugs, and love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was beautiful....calming.........filled with love. Although we do not know one another, after I read this post, I just wanted to invite you over to share a cup of tea. I have not yet crossed this milestone with my own parents. I pray that when I do, it will be with as much love and grace as you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodi, thanks for stopping by! I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to your blog as well. Signed up as a follower! Since I'm the youngest of 4 I never thought I'd be in this position, but God provides the grace and the strength and teaches many lessons along the way!

      Delete
  8. Oh, what a sweet, sweet prayer Stephani! It is so hard assisting our parents with the major adjustments in their lives and in our lives. And, as I care for my Dad I often stop and think that it could well be me one of these days. Wishing you a wonderful week! Hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all of us may face these same difficulties some day, but there are many vibrant senior citizens who manage quite well on their own or with little help. I hope that's me some day! Having no children tempts me to fear the future, but I am learning to lay that at the foot of the cross as welll!

      Delete
  9. I can't imagine how hard this has to be for you & your mom. *prayers*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stephani, what a good daughter you are! You are doing what I had planned to do for my mom when I moved to Baton Rouge last year, only she passed away before I had the chance. It's so important as people age to have as many familiar things nearby as possible. I know you are doing your best. God bless you all during this difficult transition.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This touched my heart. Praying God will give her peace in her mind and heart. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!