January 24, 2013

A Day in January


It is . . .  January 24, 2013

Outside my window . . . in is early, dark and quiet.
I am hearing . . . the tick tock of two clocks, the click clack of my keyboard, and the hum of my laptop

I am wearing . . . pink pj's

I am creating . . .a new living space for my Mom.  The last few days have been spent moving mom to assisted living, decorating her new place and making it as homey as possible.

I am looking forward to . . . free time.  I don't know when I will have any, but I'm looking forward to it!

I am remembering . . . simpler days when life seemed to flow.  Things are much more hectic now.  It's not a bad thing, just a different thing.  My new normal I guess.  And really not so new anymore as I reflect on the last few years and realize I have been going at this pace for sometime now.

I am thankful . . .the antibiotic seems to have kicked in quickly, and I am on the mend from bronchitis.

I am praying . . .for financial provision for my parents as they try to make their dollars stretch over the remainder of their lives while not knowing just how long that will be.  Twilight lasts longer for some than others.

I am needing . . . to do a whole lot of housework!  I am so far behind.

I am reading . . . Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.  It's actually a devotional,  not really a book to read cover to cover, but I have been enjoying it so.

In my quiet time . . . Habakkuk 3:19 "The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights." 

"Trust does not falter when the path becomes rocky and steep.  Breathe deep draughts of my presence, and hold tightly to my hand.  Together we can make it!" - Jesus Calling

Words to think about . . . When it comes to developing good habits this quote it so true, but there are those every once in a while moments, such as random acts of kindness that are just as important.  So suffice it to say that all our moments count!

   
A random fact you may not know about me . . . I'm running out of random facts! If there is something you'd like to know about me, please ask in the comment box!  I'll try to come up with some more next time.
One of my favorite things . . . . words.

A moment from my week . . . many moments this week spent working on getting Mom moved to assisted living all while battle bronchitis.  It's been a tough week, but rewarding at the same time.  I got done working at Mom's place about 9:00 last night and as I was leaving the parking lot of assisted living, I passed the memory care unit where Dad lives.  I noticed his light was still on so hubby and I stopped in for a late night visit.  So glad I did.  He was surprised to see us and we were all blessed.

For my picture journal . . .Two weeks ago, on the day I had to rush to the hospital after Mom had fallen again, my husband and I took a quick break to eat lunch at Chick-fil-A.  While we were there we ran into one of my friends and her son eating lunch.  I stopped to say hi and chat.  We talked about what had happened to Mom, the tough decisions about moving her to assisted living, and the struggles we were both facing with aging parents.  While I was talking with her, one of the employees of Chick-fil-A was sitting at the table next to her taking his own lunch break.  A few moments later after my friend had left and my husband and I were eating, this employee came over to our table with two chocolate shakes and said, "I heard you were having a bad day and thought this might help."  I almost cried right there! This is one of those "once in a while" moments I mentioned earlier that truly can make a difference.  Yay Chick-fil-A!


 

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I've been in the same situation with my own mom. Very difficult. A church friend gave me Jesus Calling two years ago and I love it so much that I have given several copies away and also did a giveaway on my blog. Truly a treasure. Hang in there. It does get better. God bless the Chick-fil-A worker. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my word, that random act of kindness was heart warming. I'm sure I would have bawled right there. For those that have never cared for aging parents, they have no clue what a tough, tough journey it is. I know all too well and my prayers and thoughts are with you. Funny, I had just logged on to do a Daybook myself. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lea, I appreciate your continued prayers. I know you know what I'm going through! Hope your Dad is doing well! I'm wearing his cross today!

      Delete
  3. After reading your post, I just purchased Jesus Calling on my Nook! Thanks for sharing.
    Your daybook post was uplifting. I can tell you are counting your blessings through the storm. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodi! So glad you bought the book. I think you will find it a blessing!

      Delete
  4. What special moments with your Mom...glad to hear that your bronchitis is clearing up. Thanks for the info on Jesus Calling, sounds lovely. And what a nice Chick-fil-a surprise!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Deanna! I've been enjoying your photos on Flickr! My bronchitis is healing up, but now I have a sinus infection; it seems to be the never ending cold!

      Delete
  5. I love these posts....glad you are feeling better, that you can spend time with your mom and that she is settled in her new place,that you are reading Jesus Calling (so am I),that Chick-fil-A made your day. (((hugs to you)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, I think of you so often, more often than I write for sure! Glad we're reading the same devotional, another connection! Wisconsin is on my 50 by 50 list! I'm gonna get there!

      Delete
  6. What a neat act of kindness! Chik-Fil-A people are the best.

    Words are one of my favorites, too, written more than spoken ...

    Love the quote - and so true. Consistency is definitely one of my challenges.

    Visiting from The Simple Women's Daybook

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!