December 29, 2012

Listen

"Let the rivers clap their hands, let the mountains sing together with joy." ~ Psalm 98:8


You can see why they call it the Blue River.  I cherished the days we spent there over Christmas, swept away from all the hub-bub of city life.  God is with us.  Everywhere, he's with us, but hushed in the woods you might think you really are at his footstool.  Holding hands and praying by the campfire, even whispers of our prayers seemed to echo through the heart of the wood.  When everything unimportant was stripped away and it was just us and God and his creation, our prayers seemed loud and heard.  But God isn't distracted by our city life, only we are.  He is the same always, everywhere. The quiet of the winter air and the rush of the waterfalls were the teaching tools of God as he reminded us that he is always with us.  The wild of nature doesn't make him speak louder it just causes us to listen better.  "Honey, if you listen, you can hear the river." I whispered as we lay in the tent we called home for two days.  And when I said it, I was reminded that this is how it is with God, if we listen we can hear his waterfall voice above everything we let in to drown him out.  I pray that when I think he isn't speaking, I will realize he just isn't being heard.  Then, I'll strip away the unnecessary and sit down and listen.

Sharing with:

11 comments:

  1. Yes, I believe this....we need to be quiet and listen to what GOD his saying to us. He NEVER CHANGES, HE IS ALWAYS THE SAME! I can't imagine being without GOD in my LIFE, the one who sent his SON JESUS to SAVE the WORLD! Have a BLESSED and Happy New Year! Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I must practice the art of stillness, if I am to truly hear Him. Thank you for linking up your beautiful words and photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "He is not distracted..." Love that reminder! He is constant and the same. Thank you for this lovely bit of encouragement this morning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your title: Listen. Such spiritual meaning in that one word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post, especially as we enter this New Year. I'm reminded of the verse, "Be still and know that I am God." New Year blessings my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a captivating photo. It is good to be still ,sometimes - even in the midst of a very technological age that is filled with noise and all sorts of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your words make me feel like I'm there with you in the quiet of God's footstool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Stephani -
    I came here from Behind the Garden Gate. Your comment there gave me the idea that I would find something special here - and I did. I love what you've shared and I will be back to read more. I read what you shared about you and what you believe. We are kindred spirits, my new friend! I can't wait to read more!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your post. I'm also sitting here thinking that as much as I enjoy camping - that sure looks like snow on the ground. You are far braver than I!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Stephani,
    Thanks for joining The Sunday Community this week!
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of the neat parts with Dave and I is when we are near an ocean or a large lake, we will [even in winter] keep the windows open a bit so we can hear the waves hit the rocks. It's so neat! And we always are focusing on the "voice" of our Lord. AND we're waterfall addicts, too. The natural world around us keeps us focused on our Lord's creativity and how He will use us AS His created ones who can step up for others and help them come to Him and walk further and faster into His World.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!