August 2, 2012

A Day in August

It is . . . August 2, 2012

Outside my window . . .hot, hot, and hot.  It's supposed to hit 114 today!

I am hearing . . . my space heater!  Ha!  I'm on my lunch break, and my office is about 53 degrees.  Thus why I'm staying in today and not getting in that heat!  They did scare us earlier by telling us that the water pressure supplied to the university where I work had dipped below required levels to run the chillers, and we would be without cool air.  But, the city worked hard to get it restored, and I am still sitting here freezing in my office!

I am wearing . . . gray pants and a multi-colored shirt of mostly pink, purple and gray plus some blingy sandles!

I am creating . . . ideas for a possible business venture.

I am looking forward to . . .getting rid of more stuff.  We are cleaning out every nook of the house and getting rid of things.  It will take some time as we go closet by closet, and drawer by drawer, but it feels sooooo good!

I am thankful . . . . that God never, ever fails me.

I am praying . . .that I will be radically obedient in all areas of my life.

I am needing . . . to call my aunt

I am remembering . . . what it was like to have a best girlfriend that lived nearby.   I have some girls that are friends, but not a best girlfriend like in days past.  My husband is my best friend.  I love it that way. We have an unusual connection that I love. We do everything together.  I think relationships with friends change when you get married, as they should to a certain degree, but there is something special about having a best girlfriend to do girlfriend kinds of things with.  Emily, my best friend from college lives many, many miles from me, and I haven't seen her in years, but I can pick up the phone and call her, and the connection we have is the same as always.  I love how God puts people not only in our lives, but in our hearts where they remain no matter the time or distance.

I am noticing that . . . God is connecting the dots for me, and making sense out of a whole lot of things that I have been blind to.  I can't see the final picture, but I know it's there, and seeing the connected dots brings healing and hope that God will finish what he started.

I am reading . . . Just finished 7 by Jen Hatmaker last night.  Now, I'm going back to finish Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton.  One book published in 2012, one in 1908.  I love it! 

Words to think about . . . "The teachings of Jesus are all out of proportion when compared to our natural way of looking at things, and they come to us initially with astonishing discomfort. We gradually have to conform our walk and conversation to the precepts of Jesus Christ as the Holy Spirit applies them to our circumstances. The Sermon on the Mount is not a set of rules and regulations— it is a picture of the life we will live when the Holy Spirit is having His unhindered way with us.- Oswald Chambers"

A moment from my week . . . Dinner out with my niece and her husband. So great.  They are moving next week over 1000 miles away. I'm sad.  They are both beginning graduate programs.  I will miss them dearly!

A random fact you may not know about me . . .  It's always hard for me to come up with something for this each time.  I think I've said it all here somewhere on the blog.  Let me think . . . I love to write, and I would love to write a book, or even articles for a Christian publication, but I don't know the first thing about how to do that. It's a matter of prayer right now.  Anyway, the first and only thing that I've ever "published" (besides this blog) was a devotional in a devotional book that was written by members of my youth group when I was in high school!

One of my favorite things . . . . Fresh veggies from the garden.  Even though my husband does most of the work, and I must confess I should help him more, there is something about knowing that you grew your own food!  Plus it just looks and tastes better!

For my picture journal . . . No picture today.  Sorry!


Sharing with:  The Simple Woman's Daybook

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad to live away from triple-digit temps! It's 89 here today and they say a heat index of 103, but it doesn't feel like that to us. Not after 30 years of Dallas' excruciating summers. Hope it cools off for you very soon!

    I know what you mean about having a close girlfriend nearby. It's definitely changed with marriage and moves and stuff life throws at you. In my 30s I had a best friend for over 12 years. We did everything together. Everything. Too much. When that went south, I decided it was too painful to have such a close friend, so now I have casual relationships, but it isn't the same. My husband has become my best friend too. And I like it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Stephanie, what a pretty picture. Thanks for posting this. I'm in Des Moines visiting my brother and his family for part of my birthday trip. Will be home sometime next week. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about a girlfriend!

    I love the picture of you and your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girlfriends are the best, can't live without them..Great pic of you and your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would not survive in that heat! You and your girlfriends are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the picture of you with your girlfriends. I love my friends- where would we be without them?

    I a now a follower of your blog.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!