July 14, 2012

Using Your Assets

"To be truly creative means much more than painting a picture, or writing a play, or inventing a machine.  Creativity has been built into every one of us; it's part of our design.  Each of us lives less of the life God intended for us when we choose not to live out the creative powers we possess . . .



What is more tormenting than recognizing a potential and then refusing to put it to work?  It's like possessing a miracle drug capable of saving the lives of thousands but keeping it in a locked vault.  What is more personally tragic than love unused?  Generosity kept to oneself?  Friendship unshared?  The world's literature is filled with tales of men and women who knew their own potential, recognized their own talents but refused to use those gifts.  Consequently, they are the truly tragic figures of history.  It would be far better not to know of a gift than to be aware of it and refuse to use it." ~ Ted Engstrom

As part of  this journey of Christly excellence that I have been on, I have sought out and confirmed the gifts I have.  I have taken spiritual gifts test over the years, and although the results rarely change or only change slightly, my willingness and ability to develop and use them has.  They have become an integral part of the way I choose to spend my time, but I seek God daily as I strive to follow his will through the talents and gifts he's given me.  If you were to see the results of my spiritual gifts tests, the top ten spots would look something like this:

Mercy and discernment are tied for the top spot.

After that you will find, craftsmanship and writing tied for second place.

In third place you'll find teaching, encouragement, and missions.

And at the bottom of the top ten list would be knowledge, poverty, and faith.

I would agree with these results as God, through the study of his word, through prayer, and through experience, has shown me the gifts and talents he has given me.  My struggle has sometimes been to find exactly how, when and where to use them, but he is showing me daily, and my eyes are becoming wide open to how to be a good steward of what he has blessed me with.

"Lord let me not waste, out of disobedience or fear, any gift or talent you have given me.  Use all of me for Kingdom purposes."

Sharing with:
Spiritual Sundays
Freshly Brewed Sundays

8 comments:

  1. i agree...we all have gifts and talents but what good are they if we don't use them? great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the happiest when I'm writing. It's like breathing to me. I forget everything else and can get lost in it for hours. I believe you're right on...all of us have some kind of creativity that needs to be expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph - I love this! I love to teach Genesis 1 because it is there we see ourselves created in the image of our Father God - to be like Him - CREATIVE BEING. That said, BEING CREATIVE should be a daily aspiration in and through which we glorify our Creator Father. Yes - in excellence!

    So sorry about your dad - may you now the Lord's comfort on this path. He is hidden in this life, now, just for a time. Eternity comes in its time and all will be well.

    Love all your photos - you are such an inspiration always when I visit, though I don't always comment.

    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! I often wonder what my gifts are. I would imagine mercy is one. Is there a web site where I could take a test? I've never seen one. Thanks for sharing and encouraging others to use their God-given gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Stephanie, for letting your light so shine that God is glorified. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't done one of those gifts assessments in a long, long time! Maybe I should try another! I do remember that administration and encouragement were up toward the top of the list somewhere. This summer has been good for me to get my creative juices flowing again, and my life's work right now is occupying my time getting ready for baby and another year of homeschooling. God has granted me wonderful joy and satisfaction in what my hands have found to do and I take that for what it is, a gift from Him! Glad to hear your being stretched and molded and that you're noticing every bit of it! It's amazing to see God at work! Good to catch up here a bit, Stephani. Glad to see you are doing well!
    Love from NM,
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an awesome post. I love working my creative powers every chance I get. This post is a great encouragement for those who think they are not that creative. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We offer you the worlds most top ten facilitys and information. We have our own biggest top top ten list. No search need for top ten information just one click away right here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!