July 28, 2012

Pressing On

"Our yesterdays present irreparable things to us; it is true that we have lost opportunities which will never return, but God can transform this destructive anxiety into a constructive thoughtfulness for the future.  Let the past sleep, but let is sleep on the bosom of Christ." ~ Oswald Chambers

I took the following picture the other night with my cell phone when I was blessed to have dinner with my two best friends from high school.  Although I've seen them both at different times, it was the first time we had all been together in one place in quite some time.  It was such a blessing!


Being with these two girls, in many ways, had a healing aspect to it.  It brought me full circle and allowed me to get in touch with some old feelings and good memories.  But, as good as the memories of those days are, there are other memories from my past that aren't so good.  Regret is a feeling that I try not to dwell on.  Satan uses regret to halt us in our tracks and hinder our forward progress with Christ.  We can't live a life of excellence if our minds are on the pit that God lifted us up out of!  I've made mistakes. I've made poor choices. I've sinned.  God knows all about it.  He's dumped it into his sea of forgetfulness! Satan, on the other hand, remembers everything it seems. He brings that old stuff  to our minds for one reason and one reason only, and that is to halt our progress in this Christ journey we are on. 

When I had a problem or was troubled about something as a teenager or young woman, my mother would often say, "Just lay it at the foot of the cross."   And, so that's what I do daily.  God's got all that stuff that plagued me in the past, and people, sometimes the past is just yesterday!  My objective is to keep moving forward with Christ unhindered by sins and mistakes that He has already forgotten.

So each day, let's . . .

"Leave the irreparable past in His hands, and step out into the irresistible future with him."
~ Oswald Chambers

Sharing with:

10 comments:

  1. What empowering verses and words of wisdom.

    Cheers and God Bless!

    Visiting from Fresh Brewed Sunday.

    http://turningboholano.blogspot.com/2012/07/daniels-lucid-predilection.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, aren't we so, so thankful that he dumps our sins into the sea of forgiveness. We are Redeemed by the blood of the lamb and there is no greater gift. Blessings to you Stephanie! What attractive girlfriends and wish you can joined them for the picture. Happy Lord's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, press on toward the goal of the upward call in Christ Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I know so well the feelings you're left with after poor choices and regrets. But you're right! Although Satan is attacking us, God is only concerned with the moment we're in, if we've confessed and dealt with it. It's hard. I've recently reunited with a friend from high school after 30 years and it does make you think more about the past. We just can't dwell on it. Your friends look like sweethearts. Enjoy now and the days ahead and don't look back. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. Walking with our Lord moment by moment, day by day, is the only way to survive the darkness in our life, our culture, our world.

    Thank you.

    Glad you had so much fun with your friends. That's always a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fight the battle of regret far too often, I have to say. :-( I need to remind myself that God's already dumped it into His sea of forgetfulness and then press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A much needed statement for me today:
    "My objective is to keep moving forward with Christ unhindered by sins and mistakes that He has already forgotten."
    Thank you for sharing!!
    Have a blessed week...
    Visiting from Fresh Brewed Sundays

    ReplyDelete
  8. What good counsel from your mother. I love the "...unhindered by the sins and mistakes He has already forgotten." That thought blessed me. Forgiven and forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So wise to leave the the past with him and allow him to heal it, then we can 'move forward'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful advice your mother gave you. How nice you could meet again with these old friends. Love the picture.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!