July 20, 2012

Enough is Enough!

I don't know what it is, but I've just had enough!  Maybe it's the fact that every corner and space of this tiny 1000 square foot house is filled with stuff.  Maybe it's the fact that my clothes are so crammed in my closet that I can't find what I'm looking for.  Maybe it's the fact that my husband's closet is so crammed that his dress shirts always come out wrinkled even though they are starched.  Maybe it's the fact that my savings isn't as large as I would like it to be.  Maybe I've stubbed my toe once too often.  Maybe it's because every summer we are blessed beyond imagination with a kitchen full of goodies from the garden, and we give pounds of it away and freeze pounds of it for winter and it just feels so good.  I don't know.  I just know that I'm tired of all the stuff, and I'm cleaning out, throwing away, giving away, and just in general reducing!  My dining room literally looks like a garage sale right now as that is where I have taken everything to get rid of.  If you were here, you might find something you'd like, and I'd gladly give it to you!

(You may have seen this photo I posted on Instagram of just a smidge of our bounty this summer. Take what you see in this photo and multiply by 100 and you are closer to what we've actually harvested.  This doesn't include the peppers, cucumbers, okra and beans!)

The idea of living on little, buying and keeping only what I need, and giving away what I don't, has appealed to me for some time.  I'm just sick to death of the excess.  I know it gets in the way of how I serve others and serve Jesus.  Now, if I tell you I'm reading the book 7 by Jen Hatmaker you are going to think this new way of thinking came from her.  Well, not exactly.  It's been a growing process over the last couple of years that has actually brought me to this point.  I bought the book, to figure out how exactly to do it, and how to do it for the right reasons.  Or maybe I bought the book to confirm what I was thinking and that I hadn't lost my mind.  Either way, I'm on this journey, and I'm having tons of fun, and my soul feels lighter already!

Today I'm sharing with 5 minute Friday where we write for 5 minutes on an assigned topic.  Today's topic is ENOUGH!  And that is enough for now!

7 comments:

  1. I felt the same way you did as I was packing my home for a move. Every time I had to wrap something I'd resent its very existence, bemoaning the fact that I even purchased it in the first place! I hate clutter and try to keep it down, but it is difficult to do. Sounds like you are off to a good start. You really are blessed with an abundance of home grown food! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the exact same way. I'm kind of a minimalist and love the idea of a place for everything and everything in its place. I have a giant pile of stuff in the basement that I want to get rid of...I'll be so glad when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're onto something BIG!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, do I agree with you! I also find that I have no energy or patience for holding garage sales or trying to sell in any other venue. I'd rather give it away or donate to the Goodwill. Away away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about the same thing. Every closet, cabinet, drawer, etc is stuffed and I'm so tired of it. Maybe it's time I do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right on Steph! We can so easily become slaves to our stuff and it ends up ruling our lives. I am slowly but surely going through our house and trying to rid it of the excess. I know that one day (hopefully sooner than later) we will downsize and will not have the room for all the stuff we currently have. I feel so good when I take bags and bags of items to our local Thrift Store. Great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get like that every now & then, too. It just feels good to de-clutter and use only what you need!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!