June 18, 2012

Moment By Moment

"If I had my life to live over again, I'd try to make more mistakes next time.  I would relax.  I would limber up.  I would be sillier than I have been this trip.  I know of very few things I would take seriously.  I would take more trips.  I would climb more mountains, swim more rivers, and watch more sunsets.  I would do more walking and looking.  I would eat more ice cream and less beans.  I would have more actual troubles and fewer imaginary ones.

You see, I am one of those people who live prophylactically and sensibly and sanely, hour after hour, day after day, oh, I've had my moments, and if I had it to do over again, I'd have more of them.  In fact, I'd try to have nothing else.  just moments, one after another, instead of living so many years ahead each day.  I have been one of those people who never go anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a gargle, a raincoat, aspirin, and a parachute.  If I had it to do over again, I would go places, do things, and travel lighter than I have.

If I had my life to live over, I would start barefooted earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall.  I would play more.  I would ride on more merry-go-rounds.  I'd pick more daisies."

Written by an aging monk, Brother Jeremiah.


 On my path to pursue excellence I'm trying not only to capture the moments with lens and pen, but truly capture them in reality.  It is so easy to let them flit by without a thought.  In the last couple of years as I have had to take an active role in my parents' care, I have found my thoughts turning more and more to my future, my own aging and what may be in store for me.  Although I think it is critical to live with the reality of the brevity of life in the forefront of our minds, we do this in part by living moment by moment so as not to waste precious time worrying about what we cannot possibly predict or control.

I am creating my future in part by how I spend my now.  I want to be wise and live each moment in obedience to his will for my life, and I know by doing that I will find myself in the center of his will when my tomorrows come.  I also want to live life with an attitude of gratitude that sees the fingerprints of God all around me in everything that enters my life.  The blessings he gives me today are part of my daily bread to be enjoyed and consumed for sustenance.  They are icing on the cake that he chooses to lavish us with.  How can I ignore his unfathomable generosity?

6 comments:

  1. I love the quote above and I think that is something we all need to consider. Thank you for sharing it. I'm deliberately counting my blessings and gifts from God and I believe it will make a difference in my life. I like looking for God's gifts and blessings in my life (and there are a lot of them).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I love that quote! I completely captures the way I feel about my life and the feelings of wanting to be more open and free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings to you, I came to visit from Kathy's, aka Nana, and so glad I did. I have read about you and your statement of faith and I love finding sisters who can become friends. Love the quote and look forward to getting to know you; I'll be your newest follower.
    Blessings, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have you here Noreen! And thanks for taking the time to read more about me and my faith.

      Delete
  4. Oh, Stephani, it's been too long again since I have visited. And every time I come back, you have some new way you have designed your blog. I think it reflects your perceptions on life as does this writing by Brother Jeremiah. Of all of those things, he would do more of, I would spend more time drinking in the setting sun. Such peace to watch those magnificent sunsets~a glorious end to the day~a time to collect one's thoughts~a time to prepare for a peaceful evening.
    I think the Lord is teaching me to live in the moment with love, with trust in Him, and without fear of the future. It is taking time but He is making changes (permanent ones I pray).
    So good to have you visit a while back. So good to be here again. And, I will try to pop in on the weekends!
    Blessings to you and your parents,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for your kind comments Janis! I need to stop by your place more often too! It's funny what you said about my blog being different. Sometimes I think I change it way too often. I think I have it set for awhile although I'm toying with the idea of making the colors and header photos seasonal. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!