April 21, 2012

Together


The word prompt for today’s Five Minute Friday, where we write for five minutes straight without stopping, is the word, together.

So, here we go . . .

Just a few hours ago we wound our way home from a long weekend at the lake.  It wasn’t just any trip to the lake; it was a Sunday School class retreat.  About half of our 120 member class converged on Lake Tenkiller for three days of physical and spiritual rejuvenation.

This group is a group of people who love each other, serve each other, pray for each other, and of course spend their share of time playing.  One of the class mottoes is, “We do sad together, and we do glad together.”  And it is so true.

I enjoy my alone time.  I like to go on excursions by myself or alone with my husband.  Being one with my husband means I can be alone with him while we are together, but I digress. This class has been a balm for my soul.   For someone like me who is a loner to a certain degree this group of fellow Christians brings a sense of harmony and rightness in the midst of a chaotic world, and it is such a blessing to walk together through life with them.

I would say the average age in the class is probably about 77.  I am 45, the youngest member of the class.  But what we don’t have in common with age, we have in common with our mutual faith in Christ and our mutual love for one another.  I know being so much younger than the other members of the class  means that my husband and I will endure a lot of heartbreak as we watch our friends continue to age and eventually pass from this world, we've already endured this more than once, but  I know we will be together again one day.  And when that day arrives, we will no longer be doing sad together, only glad.

A few of our friends . . .


5 comments:

  1. Hi Stephani,
    I bet it's harder than it looks to write for 5 minutes without stopping! I may have to try this sometime.
    How wonderful that you can be a part of a bible study class that spans so many years. You probably bring pep and zing into the group and enjoy the wisdom that they can give you.
    So happy to see back regularly. Now, if I can just get with writing more, we will both be back!
    Hope you have a good week.
    hugs
    ~a

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure the "older" folks feel very blessed to have you and your husband as a part of their group. It's a "win win" situation for all of you. There's just so much wisdom in this age and so much to glean from them. Glad you had a nice getaway. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Stephani, our Bible Study is made up of women of all ages, some very young with small children, some very old 83, but it is our faith that brings us together just like your Sunday School. Love and support comes together at any age. I will have to remember "we do sad together, we do glad together," I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. too love this post, especially the line, “We do sad together, and we do glad together.” And I am sure you would add, we praise God together! Our couples Bible Studies have become our Wisconsin family. Our "together" makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post makes me happy. I love that you love older people. I hope when I'm an older person that younger folks will love me like that. :-)

    The pic is super fantastic too. You're so special, Stephani.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!