April 28, 2012

Community

When I read the word "community" as the writing prompt for Five Minute Friday, the first thing that came to mind is the community of believers.  But as my mind wandered, and I thought of all of the possibilities that we might find in the word community, my mind drifted to the special people in my life.  I am often tempted to think I don't have very many friends because I don't have the traditional girlfriend relationships here locally where I live.  There isn't anyone special that I go shopping with or visit the movie theater with.  My husband is my best friend and we do everything together. 

I do however have some dear friends around the country that would fit the bill for girlfriends I could hang out with, but they don't live here.  Time and circumstances have separated us by many miles in some cases.  Some, I haven't even met in person because they have become sweet friends through blogging.  All of these thoughts caused me to wonder, "Does community have to be a group of people who are logistically close to you?"  If that is true, then my Sunday school class would fill that role in my life.  But I don't think logistics has anything to do with it.  I think of the women in my life who I know I can count on. These are women I could call on to pray, and I know they would.  They are women that I could seek advice from and trust the answer.  They are women that I just like hanging out with in person or in a few cases, just online.  Some, I am even related to.  Who says you can't be friends with family?  I do have a support group of women that I know I can count on.  It may not be a group of traditional relationships, but it is a rich group of godly women.  They are sprinkled around the country, but they are all gathered together in my heart. 

After writing this post I wanted to make a visual of what this community in my heart looks like.  When I look at this picture it brings me a lot of comfort.  Somehow, it makes me feel like they aren't so far away after all.  It also causes me to realize there is a vast portion on this country where I do not have much connection.  If you are from any of the empty states on my map, please let me know!




I'm sharing with Five Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and instructed to set our timers and write for five minutes flat without worrying about making it perfect.  This week's prompt is the word COMMUNITY.


Don't forget you must be following my photography blog by 10:00 p.m. tomorrow night in order to be included in a drawing for a $25.00 e gift card from Best Buy or Barnes and Noble.  Just go to Stephani Cochran Photography and sign up as a follower!!

11 comments:

  1. I feel much the same as you, Stephani, about a community not defined by location. There's a handful of single women that I dream with -- dreams of retiring together and building a community that does consist of living close together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephani,
    What a neat visual! I'm always intrigued by what you create on this blog...you are so talented.
    Thank you so much for checking on me. I'm well as is my family. I haven't written lately because I can't seem to feel particularly inspired. I'm in kinda of a rut, I suppose.
    You are such a sweet friend and I would love to sit down and share a cup of tea with you and just chat away the afternoon talking about this and that. For now, we must be satisfied with reading each others blogs...well, me reading yours! Perhaps I will feel inspired soon. I have often thought about participating n the 5 minute writing exercise but it always slips by me.
    Hope the rest of our weekend goes well.
    Blessings and a big hug
    ~a

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous post - and I believe community does not relate to logistics - but is everyone that makes up your personal community of support, Christ and love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Count me in as an Alabama friend! I love this visual. What a cool way to see that we are connected in a community that isn't limited by space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What refreshing words you have! This encourages me so much to know that my definition of Community doesn't have to be so rigid. I'm learning that having a network of friends all over the US (or world) is better than not having one at all. Community doesn't have to be local. You are a great example of that. Thank you!

    I'm in Tennessee :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Put me down for California! I love my blogging community!

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, i am happy to represent the hoosier state! yes, my blog friends are my best friends really. i sort of resonate with everything you wrote about here :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. "The road to a friend's house is never long."
    And I just know that some day we will meet IRL (o:
    I love this visual too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love you scripture snapsshots.
    I am from New Zealand- you might need a bigger map !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of filling your map with the special people in your life! Great idea!

    You make a great point. Does community mean you have to be close by? I would agree that community is more about being actively involved in each other's lives, loving, supporting, encouraging, and being real with each other. If you can have that kind of relationship with someone long distance then location really doesn't matter.

    Thanks for sharing your perspective!
    Christy
    A Heartening Life
    accewillard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, how cool is THAT? So glad I kept reading today, friend! Sweet tears from your post about your dad, to big smiles because I LIKE being part of your community! This is special, Stephani. Thank you! God bless your day, friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!