January 1, 2012

A Day In January

It is . . . January 1, 2012

Outside my window . . . it is cool and clear.
I am hearing . . . the static of the radio as my husband searches for the OSU/Stanford game. (We just realized the game isn't on until tomorrow!)
I am wearing . . . a pink sweat shirt, grey shorts, bare feet.
I am creating . . . goals for the New Year.
I am looking forward to . . . turning over new leaves. (Hopefully not the same ones I've turned over and over!)

I am thankful . . . for fresh starts.

I am praying . . .  the John Wesley Covenant Prayer:

I am no longer my own, but thine.
Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed for thee or laid aside for thee,
exalted for thee or brought low for thee.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
thou art mine, and I am thine.
So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth,
let it be ratified in heaven.
Amen.

I am hoping . . .  to be even more God focused this year.

I am remembering . . . New Year's eve with my parents in years past.  New Year's eve celebrations have not big a big deal in our house.  We used to watch the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson until it was midnight in New York City.  New Year's day consisted of a traditional New Year's dinner of corned beef, cabbage, and black eyed peas.

I am noticing that . . . Celebrations and holidays are different as you grow older.  The reality of life puts them in perspective.  They are wonderful times of joy and relationship building, but not fantastical as they were as a child. We often talk about building memories.  But having a father with Alzheimer's has taught me that our memories aren't guaranteed.  It really isn't about building the memories, it's about being in the present moment to love, to spread joy, to serve, to minister.  That moment may remain for some, but may be lost to others so living in the present moment and living in it completely is so important.  Someday our present moments may be all we have until we meet the Lord.  What does God want for me in this moment?  That is the question I must continually ask myself.  How it affects the future is God's business. 

I am reading . . . Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton.
Words to think about . . . "Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly" - GK Chesterton.  This year I hope to take myself lightly.

A moment from my week . . . We took a quick respite for a few days in the Ouachita Mountains of Arkansas.  It helped me to regain some perspective, motivation, and creativity.  A few photos to share in the days to come.

Something you may not know about me . . .  Every summer between the ages of 9 and 16 I spent three weeks at a Christian athletic camp in the Ozarks called Kanakuk.  I learned how to do everything there from water skiing to rappelling to star identification - even knot tying.  This is also where I became a Christian, giving my life to the Lord during one of the evening services at age 9.
One of my favorite things . . . the glow of the living room lit only by the Christmas tree lights.

For my picture journal . . . from my living room to yours . . .

18 comments:

  1. I love your bokeh photo. I'm trying to be more God focused this year too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sweet friend, it is so wonderful to see you here and read a bit of what is going on in your world. I especially like what you said about memories and living in the now. "It really isn't about building the memories, it's about being in the present moment to love, to spread joy, to serve, to minister.  That moment may remain for some, but may be lost to others so living in the present moment and living in it completely is so important." A sobering and thought provoking challenge to us all.
    Wishing you and all those you love a very happy 2012.
    Grace and peace to you,
    ~a

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so good to see you back Stephani, I have missed reading your posts This one was very thoughtful and I do know that living each day to the fullest and to live in the now is extremely important. Be present each day. Blessings to you and your family in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephani, it is wonderful to see you around again! I hope your Christmas and New Year's were wonderful. May God bless and encourage you in 2012 as you continue seeking him and his will.

    God bless,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are back!! I have thought of you often dear friend. What you said about memories...very thought provoking and true!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New year to you too! What a beautiful prayer by John Wesley...I'm very thankful for fresh starts too, looking forward to your photos from Arkansas...it's on my bucket list and your "I am noticing that" comments were so very true to me too. Looking forward to sharing 2012 with you! (((((Hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter has been to Kanakuk too. It's a very special place. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "It really isn't about building the memories, it's about being in the present moment to love, to spread joy, to serve, to minister."

    I just read somewhere about the importance of deleting. We're not meant to retain everything. Your words here so profoundly true, friend.

    Praying for your strong faith to stay strong in the year ahead with whatever it brings.
    Love,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. So good to have you back and what a wonderful post! I know these are such difficult days for you and I pray you are feeling a peace as you go forth with your life.

    I cannot believe how well my Dad is doing. He is even walking a little with some assistance. It is truly a miracle and I am thanking the Lord for His faithfulness over and over!

    Blessings for a wonderful year Stephani! Glad you had a nice getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the glow from the Christmas lights as well! Thank you for sharing your SWDP today! Have a blessed week!

    Tänia of
    Simply God's Girl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for posting the Covenant Prayer! I needed to hear that today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved what you wrote under "noticing" and also one of my sons worked at Kanakuk as a counselor for 5 years in a row. It is a wonderful camp.

    And of course I will be waiting anxiously for the pictures of my beloved home state.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post and learning more about you! And the photo is gorgeous. I might just have to go on a trip myself to hunt down that bicycle mailbox. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post. Love the photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice post and photo. I love the Ouachita Mountain area. Haven't been there in about 40 years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful. Wishing you so much love and happiness , with many many blessings in this the New Year

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!