January 20, 2012

A Light Snuffed Out

My heart is heavy because one of our dear friends was killed last night.  His name is Wally.  He is a retired minister, full of life and light that comes from serving Jesus.  He was also the chaplain for the police department in the city where our church is located.  He was a vibrant member of our Sunday school class, so full of joy, funny, and literally the life of every party.

He had just left the girls' basketball game at a local college.  He was planning to go home to check on his wife who was ailing and then go back for the boys game. He stepped off a curb and was struck by an oncoming vehicle.  He was killed.
Maybe his light was snuffed out in that instant, but then again maybe not.  He was a reflection of Jesus that will live on in the lives of those he touched and ministered to, and he is now in the presence of the light of the world.

Now, I have some questions for you . . .


Have you ever suddenly and very unexpectedly lost someone you care about? ~ Besides my friend Wally, I lost another friend suddenly this year.  I think when someone has not been sick, and you are not anticipating their death, it is harder to come to terms with in some ways.  It just doesn't really sink in.  But I'm so thankful I know where they are at!

Do you know someone who is full of life?  You know, those people that just bring a smile to your face - they just brighten your day because they entered the room.  Tell us about it, and then tell them how thankful you are for them. ~ For me, my husband is that way.  I don't know anyone that doesn't like him.  He smiles a lot, is so funny, has the gift of helps, and just knows how to bring joy.  I also have a co-worker that is very gifted at bringing joy to everything she does.

Have you ever committed a random act of kindness anonymously? ~ I have to say I'm guilty of not doing this anonymously too often.  Usually people know I'm doing it.  But, I do on occasion leave anonymous treats or notes for my co-workers.  I either leave them on their desk or mailbox.  It's just a way to help them have a good day.

I'd like to hear the answers to your questions and see any photos you took this week.  You can either let us know in the comment box, or if you want to create a post on your blog you can do that too.
Have a wonderful weekend, and let your light shine!

11 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am sorry for this unexpected and sudden loss. May the God of all comfort, comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephani, I'm so glad to find your blog, although I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Knowing where he is I'm sure gives you the only comfort one can find. Prayers and thoughts are with you during this time. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Stephani...reading this right before we go out, but i want to tell you how very sorry I am for your loss. My dad passed away after a year and a half of battling cancer, my step dad died unexpectedly of a heart attack. It is never easy. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, life is so very fragile! I am so sorry about your friend, sounds like he was a great guy.

    Praying for peace and comfort to surround you as you celebrate the life of your friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss, you'll feel it often for a long time, but you can take some comfort in knowing where he is. May God bless you and all others that he left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Stephani, I am so very sorry for yours and your church family's loss. I've had two friends killed in car accidents and the sudden loss is indeed a different thing to grasp. I'd have to say too that it's my husband and two children who are full of life and I thank the LORD for the blessing of life with them. My husband is reserved and everyone who knows him well really enjoys him. I don't deserve him at all, still, he's stuck with me!
    My last anonymous random act of kindness was over Christmas and I was especially sneaky! Very fun and even more so because only the LORD knows what their reaction was. I've decided I like it best that way! I ask the LORD to show me who He wants me to bless, and it's always someone I'll never see again. It's high time for another one!
    Stephani, I'm praying for you and your church family. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephani,
    Oh, I'm so sorry. Yes, the shock of it all! May you and your church family know the peace of His comfort in the days ahead.

    Full of life? That would have to be my children. :) They remind me every day that life is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry Stephani. Praying for the family and all who love him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stephani, I am so sorry for your loss!! And in answer to your first question, yes, I lost my step dad suddenly and very unexpectantly. He was such a blessing to our family, always smiling and helping people and ALWAYS interested in what I was doing even when my own father doesn't seem to be. I miss him so much . . . it's been four years and it just still hurts.

    I'm praying for you and all that knew him and hope that the pain in your heart is replaced by your memories of him. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephani, I'm so sorry for this sudden loss of a dear one. God seems to be reminding me of the suddenness of transition from this life to the next. I'd just heard of another friend's sudden loss just last week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!