November 6, 2011

You Know You're From Oklahoma When . . .

You know you're from Oklahoma when you have the largest earthquake recorded in the state's history and the emergency manager describes it this way. . .

"It was a pretty ornery little earthquake."

We have experienced 8 earthquakes in the last 24 hours, and yes, I was awake for two of them.

Believe it or not, my husband and I were still awake around 2:15 a.m. early Saturday morning when we heard the roll of distant thunder and then the shaking began.  We have grown accustomed to earthquakes in the last year, mild ones, that come and go quickly, but this was a long low rumble that lasted for awhile.  It was also the first one that was strong enough to cause all the knick knacks on our shelves to rattle and roll.  Later we found out that it was a magnitude 4.7

We live near an air-force base so as earthquakes have become more frequent, I generally have to sit still, listen, and quickly decipher if an earthquake is rolling through, or if a bomber is flying overhead. I have learned the difference.

Then last night, at 10:53 we were sitting in our living room.  I was sitting right here in my recliner with my laptop when the big one hit.  We heard it. We felt it.  We looked at each other.  It was louder and bigger than the previous one.  When the rattle and roll didn't cease immediately and the house began to shake, I slapped my laptop shut, hubby jumped up to see what was going on, and I said, "We need to get out of the house."  My husband, went to the door (in his boxers, I might add) and the rumble started to slow and dissipate.  We never quite made it to the porch, but we had the door open and could hear the clamor outside.  All the neighbors were on their porches, and in their yards.  This is the conversation I heard spouting back and forth across the street. . .

"Did you feel that?"

"Heck yeah!"

We found out minutes later that this was the largest earthquake recorded in Oklahoma at a magnitude of 5.6.  We are about 50 miles from the epicenter.  I can't imagine what it felt like there.

You also know you're from Oklahoma when . . .

your main concern during an earthquake is that your husband is only wearing his boxers, and might be caught outdoors that way. So, to remedy the situation you grab a pair of his camo flannel lounge pants, and say, "Here, put these on in case there's another one."

To solidify our redneck standing amoung these United States, this morning we read the national account of the event which included the story of a man who was injured when he fell and bumped his head while trying to run out of the house, and an interview with a man named Bubba.  Of all of the people in this great state that the media could have found to interview, they found Bubba.  I'm sure Bubba is a nice fella.

It's okay.  We can take it.  After all, we recognize that the rest of the world thinks we still ride to work on horses, are still fighting Indians, and have gun battles at high noon.  That just shows their ignorance not ours.


As one of our regular local TV news shows puts it . . .

4 comments:

  1. Wow, didn't know Oklahoma was home to so many earthquakes. We had one here in the Chicago area about a year ago and it woke me up. Didn't know what woke me, but it woke me. Your cow in the middle of the road is great. Loved this post, made me laugh, and fyi I was born in Oklahoma....Tulsa. Didn't live there long enough to know it, moved further south to that great state of Texas. Have a great week ahead, Stephani.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too funny! I didn't know you lived in Oklahoma. One of my friends from there mentioned the earthquake on facebook last night. Glad everyone is safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually thought about you when i woke up and heard the news. I have felt small ones here in Wisconsin...such a strange sensation to be sure!Maybe your husband shouls switch to long johns for the winter, just to be on the safe side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Stephani, this is hilarious! Yes, the media will always interview Bubba! Whether in OK or TX. I'm glad you let us know your report...I've wondered about you since I learned of the earthquakes. Priceless: "Did you feel that?" I'm glad y'all are okay. I hear aftershocks are still being felt. Keep us posted. And thank you for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!