October 24, 2011

I Am Steph

It was about 3:30 p.m. when I headed across town to  be with Mom and Dad again yesterday afternoon.  Mom was already at Dad's room in the Nursing Care wing when I arrived there.  I walked in the room, and Dad looked up from the wheelchair he was sitting in.  He raised his eyebrows and said, hello.  He didn't seem quite as excited to see me as he usually does, but pleasant and happy to see me walk in just the same.  I attributed his lack luster demeanor to the slight fever he was running.

I sat in the chair across from him.  Mom was lying on his bed.  Conversation with elderly folks who either spend little time in activity during the day, or who don't remember their activity, can become quite difficult to maintain.  But we manage with moments of silence.  Dad breaks one of those moments of silence when he decides to ask me a question.

" Have you seen Steph lately?"

I replied, "Did you ask me if I have seen Steph lately?"

"Yes, have you seen Steph lately?

I smiled and said, "I am Steph, Dad."

He was embarrassed that he had said the wrong name, and maybe momentarily he really didn't know who I was.  There will come a day when he really doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!