October 8, 2011

A Day In October

It is . . . October 8, 2011

Outside my window . . . it is windy and partly cloudy.  My puppy is lying outside by the front door.

I am hearing . . . the OU/Texas football game on the radio.

I am wearing . . . camo shorts, pink t-shirt, bare feet.

I am creating . . . Pinterest boards.  I've been playing on Pinterest while listening to the game.  After I finish this post, I will fold the laundry!

I am looking forward to . . . Fall break.

I am thankful . . . for the relationship I have with my parents.  I know when they are gone, I will look back and be glad for this time I have with them.

I am praying . . .  for direction and assurance.  I am going through one of those times where I keep asking myself if I am really doing what God wants me to.  Am I in his will?  I am also praying especially for my parents.  They struggle so.  I have friends who are hurting, they too have my prayers right now.

I am hoping . . .  the majority of the house renovation will be done before Thanksgiving.  Those of you who have been following me for awhile know that we have been in the middle of a house renovation for over 2 years now.  I'm ready for it to be done.  My husband has been doing most of it by himself and he has been doing an excellent job!

I am remembering . . . Halloweens of past.  We used to go trick or treating after dark.  I always carried a plastic pumpkin to collect my candy in.  It was a different time then.  We didn't have harvest celebrations or trick or treating in the mall.  Good memories.

I am noticing that . . . there are pumpkin patches opening up everywhere.  I need to go pick out some pumpkins.

I am reading . . . nothing at the moment.

Words to think about . . . "Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working." ~ Unknown

 

A moment from my week . . . celebrating Mom's 82nd birthday.  We were able to take mom and dad out to eat. (side note: OU just got a touchdown.  Woo Hoo!).  In many ways it is difficult to get them out, but I know it is good for them and they seemed to enjoy it. Here is a photo of my mother as a young lady.  I believe she is about 19 in this photo.  The most beautiful woman I have ever seen.



Something you may not know about me . . .  I was raised on OU football and have been attending games since I was about 3. That's 42 years if you are trying to count it up!  My father had season tickets until just a year ago.  My husband and I had season tickets for several years as well.  OU football has been a part of every Fall Saturday that I can remember.  Now that we don't have tickets we still listen on the radio or watch on TV if we are at someon else's house or at a restaurant.  We did finally decide that it was consuming too much of our time, thus part of the reason we gave up the tickets, but we still love it! Below is a photo of my Dad and two of my niece's at an OU/Texas game taken just  two years ago.  A lot has happened in his life since then.  He has deteriorated significantly and will never be able to attend another football game.  He is no longer physically or mentally able to do this.  Alzheimer's is a horrible disease.  It is amazing how quickly a person with Alzheimer's loses their grip on life.  We all need the Lord.  He is our only hope.

One of my favorite things . . . the sounds at a stadium during the football game

For my picture journal . . . OU football!



8 comments:

  1. Hi Stephani!

    Thanks for stopping by today.
    It's almost supper time here.
    I'm cooking a burger mac bake and green beans.

    I haven't had time for Pinterest today. I look forward to doing it after supper.

    Our son's Fall break is next Thursday and Friday. I know he is looking forward to it.

    Oh yes, cherish those moments with your parents. We always lived far away from my parents, and didn't always have the money to visit them. My dad passed away in 2010. The last memory I have of him is us dancing together. Our boys didn't grow up around Grandparents. I wish we had lived closer. No going back. Presently I call my mom at least twice a week. She has dementia, so usually repeats everything she already told me. But I love talking to her. Her heart is gardening, which she can no longer do. I believe she has a couple house plants but that's all.

    I am presently reading several books. I believe my #1 book for 2011 is `Journey to the Well: A Novel` by Diana Wallis Taylor. It's a take on the Samaritan Woman at the well.

    I believe OU won the game, didn't they?

    Have a wonderful rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Stephani--your mother is a stunning beauty! I see such a resemblance between you and her. Keep enjoying those times with your parents. You're right that you will always be glad you had them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet entry! So interesting about your love of OU Football. :0). Our son in law graduated from OSU.

    I'm with you on the parents. I am blessed to still have my Dad and it grieves me so to see his present state but I truly cherish these sometimes long and grueling days with him. Yes, Alzheimer's is awful! My MIL died from it 3 years ago and it was so sad.

    I look forward to seeing photos of your house at the end of the restoration.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your husband may be ready for the house renovations to be Done, too! Hope you're both headed that way soon. And your mother's photo is beautiful. Isn't it wonderful to have old photos like these?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephani,
    Your Mom was gorgeous!
    I don't know a thing about football.
    I hope your renovations get done soon.
    Don't understand Pinterest very well. yet.
    :o)

    ♥charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such wonderful thoughts and memories. I like reading these posts, I learn about you and I think about my own past...this is random, but we carried our Halloween loot in pillow cases! Your mom is beautiful too, Stephani.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Mom is absolutely stunning Stephani, and that is such a gorgeous photograph.
    Alzheimer's is indeed a horrible disease. I watch both Grandparents and my Mom suffer from it. Someday there will hopefully be a cure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading your post this morning, Stephani...you are always a blessing to me. I loved your pictures of your parents...so very sweet.
    Have a blessed day, and enjoy getting out to a pumpkin patch soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!