August 16, 2011

A Day In August

It is  . . . the evening of August 15, 2011

Outside my window . . . it is a beautiful night.  I am outside in fact.  I've been lying on the front patio looking up at the stars and listening.

I am hearing . . . crickets, music coming from a nearby home, a motorcycle in the distance.

I am wearing . . . pink and khaki shorts, white t-shirt, no shoes, pink toenail polish

I am creating . . . new memories.
.
I am looking forward to . . . fall, although there is something reminiscent about summer.

I am thankful . . . for the crickets, fireflies, and toads that join us for a summer evening out.

I am praying . . .  for some dear blog friends who are in pain.

I am hoping . . .  to start doing some new things on my blog using my poetry.  We'll see.

I am remembering . . . how we used to play outside in our cul-de-sac on summer evenings when I was a youngster.  We would play kick the can, acorn wars, or any other number of games with the other kids who lived in that circle.  There were 5 houses on that dead end, and 4 of them had kids in them. I remember them all; Carrie, Lee, Tim, Greg, Mark, Linda, Donna, and of course me, my sister, and brothers (before they got too old). We would play until we heard our mother call us in to set the table for dinner.  Then, we might go out again, and play until she called us in to get our baths.

I am noticing that . . . in many photos I am wearing a ball cap or hat of some sort.  What is up with that?  Well, usually the only time I'm in front of the camera is when I'm playing, and I often throw my hair up in a hat when I'm playing .  You know, fishing, exploring, hiking, peach pickin', stuff like that. I spend much of the rest of my time dressed up, so when I play, I play and forget about my hair! 

I am reading . . . my camera manual.  When all else fails, go back to the beginning.

Words to think about . . .
“All The Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
Layin' In The Sun,
Talkin' 'Bout The Things
They Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda Done...
But All Those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
All Ran Away And Hid
From One Little Did.”
~ Shel Silverstein

A moment from my week . . . I got an unexpected thank you bonus at work!!! 

Something you may not know about me . . . I took guitar lessons for awhile, but quit. : (  It's been a couple of years ago now.  My guitar has been sitting in a corner, locked in it's case, completely ignored.  BUT,  I think it's time to dust the old strings off and see what I can do.  I'll probably have to start all over, but like I said before, if all else fails, go back to the beginning.

One of my favorite things . . . banana taffy.  Or at least it used to be.  It's been 3 months without sugar now, and it has been very good thing!

For my picture journal . . . porch lights.  A sleepy street, but not quite asleep.   


Sharing this shot with Sweet Shot Tuesday

10 comments:

  1. Loved your blog today. Really enjoy reading someone's thoughts, seeing what they see, hearing what they hear. Very lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 months without sugar - that got my attention.
    That's quite an accomplishment.

    It's been a very long time since I've set outside and looked at the stars. Course it's been a very long time since it's been the least bit cool, even in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post... I love how it flowed. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have wonderful memories of summer nights growing up in Chicago...more sounds than just the crickets and frogs we have here in Wisconsin. We had to be home when the street lights went on...I loved sitting on the porch at night...we could here our neighbors, watch people finf their way home on the sidewalks. It's pretty here at night, nothing obscures the sky. But I will always love my memories of Chicago. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love banana taffy! Your evenings sound wonderful. I wish our street was a little more "sleepy" :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kick the Can was my favorite summer time game growing up. Back then we didn't have to worry about be outside in the dark. A court full of kids on a summer night! What memories. Oh and I LOVE banana taffy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Creating new memories is always fun.

    I like your words to think about.
    I have so many Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda's especially when it comes to my boys. But I'm sure there are some did's in there as well.

    I love your picture journal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I loved this post so much.. Took me back a few years also. We played in our from yard in the dark and all the kids that we could come would.
    Those were the days.

    Thanks for stopping . I added you on flickr and so glad you found me there.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am looking forward to Fall as well, it is my favorite time of year!

    Sounds like a lovely evening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stephani, this post is chock full of goodness - from the Shel Silverstein (one of my favorite poets) poem to the soon to be awakened guitar licks. Looking forward to poetry and photos to come!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!