July 29, 2011

I Am Still Life

As a photographer, the term "still life" is an important one.  As a woman of God, it is even more important.  When taking pictures of still life, we think of inanimate objects that are unmoved.  The photographer can arrange them the way she wants and then create the desired effect with the camera and lighting.  But the common theme among all still life, is that it is unmoved.  It sits still.  It is only moved by the photographer, the master. 

In much the same way, my life must also be unmovable.  The difference between me and the subject of a still life photo session, is that I must be willing. I must set my face like flint towards that which the heavenly father has in store for me.  When I move, this way or that, without waiting for the creator himself to direct me, I create a blurry image of what God intended, and the composition will be completely off.

Jesus is the master photographer.  He knows how to make something beautiful out of my life.  So I remain still until he picks me up to mold me and shape me.  I'm motionless until he directs me to move. He is my creator, and he spends my lifetime turning me into a masterpiece.   I am still life, and I am willing.

I am sitting in a hotel room in Valliant, Oklahoma. We are here for the 10th annual watermelon festival! So I think this shot is an appropriate still life photo for this post!  I'm taking lots of pictures! See you when I get back in a couple of days!


15 comments:

  1. I love your view on Still... still life and master photographer! I am so grateful Jesus is the master, because I know I would just mess up his work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Katie...I love your view on Still too! Your words are so beautiful Stephani! Enjoy the watermelon festival and your weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephani, this is beautiful and I also love your view on Still!

    Hope you enjoy your weekend at the watermelon festival. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this powerful post and a watermelon festival sounds so fun. Have a great time

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooooh! I love watermelon! Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'd love to see the rest of the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your thoughts on this. A still life means something different to me now.
    The picture is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely watermelon photo! Still Life – you captured it well in words and picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm originally from Okla and I don't know where Valiant is. *blush

    Great photo and wonderful "thought", Stefani!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice post. And I love the photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your comparison to the christian walk and a still life is excellent...have fun at the watermellon festival. The deer ate my vines again this year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful application on still.
    I would like to hope I am learning to be still.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Stephani, it's so good to be back in touch. I love your new blog look, very neat and clean. Loved this entry and as usual, you always bless me with your words and your photos. Hoping things are going well in your corner of the world. We continue on our journey with Dad and will be for many months to come.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't want the image of myself to be blurred -- I just want to be willing and still. What a beautifully written thought to carry with me this week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We used to live in Oklahoma but have been gone from there for over 50 years. We still talk about how good those watermelons were. It's hard to find one here that is even "decent" let alone delicious.
    I'm glad you shared these encouraging thoughts with us.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!