July 9, 2011

Grateful

When I was a kid, I used to be afraid of the mental health hospital and the people that might have been living there.  We would pass the hospital on the way to the football games on Saturday, and with my nose pressed against the car door window, I would look with  wonder.  I had learned enough from uninformed gossipers at school, and snapshots of crazy people on TV, to assume I needed to be afraid of what lay beyond the fence.  The fence that surrounded the property didn’t help any either.  I thought it was there to keep the people in.  I didn’t realize it was just there to line the perimeter of the grounds.

 Today, I’m grateful for that hospital and others like it.  I’m grateful for the doctors, nurses, and technicians that help people with a wide range of problems from depression, to addiction, to severe psychosis.  They help robins into their nests again.  I’m grateful because they’ve helped someone I love very much.  I’m also grateful that I’ve learned to not judge a book by its cover, a hospital by its exterior, or a person by their problems.  No one is beyond the grace of God.  And because of what I’ve seen, I am even more convinced that His grace truly is amazing – and that is something I am immensely grateful for!


6 comments:

  1. God's Grace is Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grateful for time with my girls this weekend. Amy came in to clean and take things that she wants with her in Boston and Aleece came as moral support and then we went to lunch and antique shopping.
    So much to be grateful for.
    ~a

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so grateful for HIS truly AMAZING grace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right -- no one is beyond the grace of God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grateful for the gifts God placed in you, Stephani: compassion, creativity, and eyes to see through grateful lenses.
    Continuing to pray...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Friend - Getting caught up a little bit tonight...and loving your words on this 5 Minute Friday post! No one is beyond the grace of God. - Amen, sister!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!