November 20, 2010

No Buts - Just Follow

On a normal Monday, he takes me to work and then picks me up at the curb in front of my building as soon as I’m done for the day. We then grab a bite to eat, usually a Johnnie’s burger, and we sit in a booth discussing our study together, Bibles opened up on the table top amidst the onion rings and cup of chili. When my watch says it’s time, he drops me off at the church where the ladies meet, and he travels a few miles away to the church where the men study together. About two hours later, he picks me up and we head home. This is the normal routine every Monday. It’s always the same. But on this particular evening, he was expecting to take a friend so he didn't take me to work and we went to Bible study separately.


The night turned windy and rainy as we journeyed home that night, he in his car and me in mine. We made contact on the cell phones, and he was traveling just a few miles behind me. I slowed down so he could catch up, and then pass me. We were almost home, stopped at a traffic light just around the corner, when he rolled down his window and signaled that he needed to talk to me. I rolled down my window and as raindrops sprinkled into the inside of my car, He firmly said, “Follow me!”
“But, I need to . . . .
“Follow me!” He repeated.
I thought he wanted to go somewhere other than home, and I had things to do. He wanted me to follow him somewhere, who knows where, and I didn’t have time for this. But the Holy Spirit immediately softened my spirit. I needed to follow. And I thought how often God says, “Follow me!” and my response is, “But. . . .”

So my husband pulled in front of me, and I followed as we weaved around different streets in our neighborhood. I couldn’t image where we were going; and if we were going home, why was he taking me on this wild goose chase? It was raining outside so he couldn’t possibly want to collect pecans from that pecan tree a few streets over. I saw him talking on his cell phone. Was there some emergency? What was he up to, and why was I blindly following? Well, he’s my husband, and I trust my husband. He’s proven time and time again that I can follow him anywhere, and he knows exactly what he’s doing, even when I don’t fully understand. Hmmmm sounds like someone else I know.


We turned the corner onto our street. We had taken a very indirect path to our house and entered our street from the opposite direction of that which I would have normally taken. Rain was pelting the windshield as we made that turn and then I saw it. Old faithful had erupted in the street right between our neighbor’s house and ours. We had a water main break that sent water bursting 30 feet in the air, flooding the street and sending people scampering to get their vehicles moved. We could not have made it to our house had we travelled the usual path; my way.

I sat behind the wheel of my car wide-eyed at the spectacle and then bowed low as I thought of all the times that my Heavenly Father says, “Follow me!” and I respond with, “But. . .”

“But I want to do this or that!”

“But I have to go here or there!”

“But that won’t work!”

“But I can’t!”

“But I don’t know how!”

“But they won’t listen to me!”

“But I’m too tired!”

“But I’m too sick!”

“But I don’t know what will happen!”

“But I’m afraid!”
“But I have already made these plans!”
You get the picture. God can see what I can’t. He knows what I don’t. He loves me beyond imagination and has never failed me.

Isaiah 55:8

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD.

My way often leads me right into a road block. Faith is blind only in the sense that I can’t always see where God is taking me or why, but faith has eyes wide open in the sense that I know Him, he has never failed me, and I can trust Him enough to follow Him just because He asks me to.

Psalm 77:18-19
Your thunder was heard in the whirlwind, your lightning lit up the world; the earth trembled and quaked. Your path led through the sea, your way through the mighty waters,
 though your footprints were not seen.

13 comments:

  1. Great post to illustrate how important it is to follow the prompting of the Lord. Don't we all fail to do this, thinking our way is better~or more convenient.

    Blessings and Happy Thanksgiving,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. I'm crying now. Thanks, Stephani. ha. But what a beautiful story of having trust enough to follow wherever He leads. I think about all you're going through right now, yet you're still maintaining faith to follow (I think I'll finish up in an e-mail...).
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post. I needed to read this and learn...trust even when it doens't make a whole lot of sense. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. God used this situation to teach you, and all of us, an important lesson. We need to trust God, even if it doesn't make sense... or we know what the end result will be! Thank you for sharing this for Spiritual Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me, too ... Me, too.

    Jesus calls out "follow me," and I'm busy double-checking the map. As if ...

    Cool photos, Stephani. ... Are you familiar with the new High Calling Focus (Living Faith Behind the Lens)? It's a great group of photographers who are doing a cool thing here:

    http://www.highcallingfocus.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephani, your story hits home. The message rings so true - God is worthy to be trusted and followed. It is my job to promptly respond to his direction.

    Thank you for this truth-filled post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for this inspiring post!

    Many blessings,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting story and it is a good example of how we should trust God and follow his leading.
    Blessings for a Happy Thanksgiving.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  9. Follow me. Your story was a perfect way to illustrate what God wants us to do! Thank you for being so honest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exellent post, Stephani, and so similar to the the message I heard at church tonight. And both really spoke to my heart...thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was such a gentle message. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are so many times in the past that I didn't follow him. I thank him daily for being my leader today.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this hit right between the eyes! What an inspiring post! Thanks Stephani for always writing from your heart. You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!