November 29, 2010

Bittersweet ~ Counting my Blessings

My folks were married in 1951.  This picture I believe was taken while they were still dating.  Doesn't my mom have the most beautiful smile!



A lot has happened since then. They have been married for nearly 60 years, have 4 children and 9 grandchildren.  This next picture is of their home.  A big beautiful home with a pool in the front.  They designed it and built it 32 years ago. 


Their belongings are being packed up today.  Not everything.  Only what they can fit into a one bedroom apartment.  You see, the moving truck is coming on Wednesday and they will be spending their first night at their new home on Thursday. 

The transition of moving from their dream home into a continuous life care community, is a tough one.  It is tough on all of us.  Will you please pray for my family, my parents especially.  Pray that the transition will be smooth and that my parents will be at peace.  Pray for uplifted spirits and no depression.  Please pray also that the Lord will provide for their financial needs in the weeks and months ahead.

God says to my parents, to me and to you, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

God bless you Mom and Dad as you take this new path on your journey together.  I love you both more than I can possibly express.

Today, I continue my gratitude list:

596.  godly parents who introduced me to the truth of God's word

597.  parents who have stayed together for almost 60 years

598.  a beautiful home where lots of memories were created

599.  a God that has it all under control

600.  a God that sees my tears and my fears and draws even closer

601.  a family with a rich godly heritiage

602.  siblings, and nieces who rally around to help and to encourage

603.  a husband who always makes me laugh even while I'm crying

604.  sisters in Christ who pray when asked

605.  knowing that THIS is not all there is

606.  a mother who is my best friend

607.  assurance that when she is gone, I will see her again

608.  a final Thanksgiving meal in the home I lived in from age 12

609.  hearing Dad tell stories, the same ones he's told a million times

610.  homemade brownies made by my step-son

611.  the warmth when God draws near

612.  He is gentle when I am overwhelmed

613.  a hymn in my heart and on my lips when the tears flow

614.  How Great Thou Art

615.  all sufficient grace.

A Multitude of Gifts

9 comments:

  1. Praying for you and your family, Stephani. This is nearly always a hard transition. May God's grace smooth the way for all of you. Your mom's smile reminds me of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh. That makes me teary.
    Your Mom and Dad are both really beautiful looking people and from what you have shared they are just as pretty on the inside. What a difficult time this must be for all of you. The journey is not always easy, for sure. Praying.
    Please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, rich gratitude with wonderful memories and faith-filled perspective. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Stephani, I've been praying for you in recent days and will continue too. We all desire to live a long time, but with that comes some really tough decisions that tear at our hearts and the hearts of those that love us. I do hope and pray that your parents will end up being very happy in their new home once they get some of the adjustments behind them.

    Snuggle up and allow the Lord to love on you during this difficult time. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry! Crying with you, Stephani. Oh, how I know God will pour out His grace on you all, and I am praying for strength for the days ahead. May your parents know much, much peace in this transition. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Stephani, my heart goes out to all of you. Yes, I will be praying for all of you.

    I especially love # 606 for my mom was my best friend also. Of all of life's greatest blessings, that is ranked up there close to the very top in my opinion.

    Praying for strength, courage and peace for all of you during this difficult time.

    Love,
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  7. And yes, her smile is one of the prettiest I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mom is so beautiful! I see the family likeness in you. What a hard, hard week you all are going through. :-( Praying for you, friend...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Stephanie...yes, I will pray for you and your parents. I am there...my family is having a meeting in January because my parents can no longer live alone. Thankfully, His grace is sufficient...for ALL of us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!