September 11, 2010

Wh? The Questions

Who? What? When? Where? Why?

I had finished reading the Ragamuffin Gospel and was making my way through the 19 mercies listed at the back of the book. I closed it. I didn’t want to read anymore. I just wanted to pray. Closing the book didn’t make the words come. The picture on the cover of the church with the red door said welcome. All I could say to God was, “What?”  Not, what now, what if, or what is; just what.


Needing direction, not finding words, the Holy Spirit began to speak on my behalf and these words flowed through me.
Who Lord? Who needs you? Who can I help? Who can I love? Who do I need to forgive? Who needs me? Who should I be?
Matthew 25:34-40

“Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
What Lord? What should I do? What should I say? What is important? What is your will? What should I be?
Matthew 22:37-40

Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
When Lord? When should I go? When should I stay? When will you come? When will it end? When should I just be?
Exodus 13:21-22

By day the LORD went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night. Neither the pillar of cloud by day nor the pillar of fire by night left its place in front of the people.

Exodus 40:34-38

Then the cloud covered the Tent of Meeting, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle. Moses could not enter the Tent of Meeting because the cloud had settled upon it, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle. In all the travels of the Israelites, whenever the cloud lifted from above the tabernacle, they would set out; but if the cloud did not lift, they did not set out—until the day it lifted. So the cloud of the LORD was over the tabernacle by day, and fire was in the cloud by night, in the sight of all the house of Israel during all their travels.
Where Lord? Where should I go? Where should I stay? Where should I be?

Hebrews 11:8

By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.
Why Lord? Why not? Why now? Why them? Why me?

John 14: 1

Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
Who, What, When, Where, Why?

1 John 4:18-19

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. We love because he first loved us.

8 comments:

  1. A beautiful example of how the Holy Spirit moves in us to make God's word come alive and have meaninging that is relevant to our lives. Thanks be to God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You blessed my heart today. I love Brennan Manning! And I love the Raggamuffin Gospel.
    have a lovely weekend and a restful Sabbath!
    ~a

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful scriptures and post! I have not heard of the Raggamuffin Gospel! Will need to look it up.Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this post.I've never heard of the Raggamuffin Gospel...Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These scriptures touched my heart today, thank-you. Like the others I have not heard of this ministry either.It's got a cute name, kinda catchy. I know I wont forget it when I'm looking for the lesson.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a blessing! I have heard of the Ragamuffin Gospel but have never seen a copy. May have to check it out now. May it be a most wonderful week for you! Always a joy to stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great answers the Bible has given us to the Wh-- question. The scriptures you quoted answer the question beautifully.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we all ask these questions at one time or another. Thanks for posting something I needed to hear today. God bless, Bobbi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!