September 24, 2010

Untangling

Every morning off to work I pull out of my driveway, turn left, turn right, turn left, turn right, turn left, and then right on to the highway. It’s all a blur after that. I’m a dreamer by day and waste too much time with my thoughts. I get to work and don’t even remember the 30 minute drive there because I’ve been so lost in my thinking. It’s not always just thinking or wishing or hoping that occupies me while I drive, often times it’s listening to God speak. I’ve talked often of the times God taps on my heart while I’m behind the wheel. In fact, probably most of the inspiration I pour out with this keyboard began in the driver’s seat of a Honda. Leaving work yesterday I pulled out of the parking lot and turned left, then right onto the highway. Twasn’t long and deep thoughts of the trouble began to occupy my time. The thing that plagues me that I can’t seem to get a grip on, that I can’t seem to control or stop spun a web in my mind that got me all tangled up. He never stays silent for long.

“Every time you yield to Satan he will keep coming back for more.

Every time you yield to the Holy Spirit he will keep coming back for more.

The choice is yours. Who do you want strengthened in your life?

If you will remember that each time you are tempted, you have a choice. Your choice either diminishes the power of the Holy Spirit in your life causing the bonds to become tighter OR it diminishes the power of Satan in your life causing the bonds to loose. Eventually the bonds will strangle you or they will fall off completely. The choice is yours.”


Suddenly that tangled up web in my mind simply unraveled. It was all so clear to me that I didn’t even have a question to ask. It’s a matter of sin. It’s a matter of obedience. It’s a matter of who’s Lord of my life. He got rid of any opportunity for rationalization. He gave me the cold hard facts and now I know what I have to do. Obedience isn’t just one response to one command; it’s a journey of overcoming. And in how to overcome, he left me with some encouragement . . .

Psalm 50:14-15

“Sacrifice thank offerings to God, fulfill your vows to the Most High, and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you and you will honor me.”

1 John 5:3-5

“This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

Sometimes in life I’m sprinting, other times I’m struggling to walk and then find I just want to crawl because it’s so much easier. Thank you God for being slow to anger and abounding in love. Thank you for never growing weary as I earnestly seek to overcome. Thank you for not making me do it alone.

Come Holy Spirit I need thee. Come sweet Spirit I pray.

Photograph:  taken while on a two hour drive in the country with lots of time to dream and listen to God talk.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you Stephanie. I needed to read this today...you are so right. Life is full of choices. Thank you for the reminder to CHOOSE correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Stephanie. It is important to choose wisely.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to remember what you posted today. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We make choices all the time. The more we choose to listen to God the easier it becomes. The more we choose to listen to other voices, they will become louder. I'm glad you shared these thoughts with us. I know there are many of us who can relate.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's ALL about HIM. When we finally realize that it becomes so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some people would complain about a long drive to work, your praising the Lord and using this time wisely. A two hour drive in the country sounds so peaceful.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great reminder to purposely choose the good way...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I am so thankful we do not have to do it alone. Sweet post.
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful post of how you are allowing time to let thoughts simmer and God to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a good thing to read this morning before work. I've often said I have my best conversations with My Father as I'm driving to work each morning.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!