September 6, 2010

The Ordinary and Not So Ordinary ~ Counting My Blessings

Psalm 67

May God be gracious to us and bless us
and make his face shine upon us,
that your ways may be known on earth,
your salvation among all nations.
May the peoples praise you, O God;
may all the peoples praise you.
May the nations be glad and sing for joy,
for you rule the peoples justly
and guide the nations of the earth.
May the peoples praise you, O God;
may all the peoples praise you.
Then the land will yield its harvest,
and God, our God, will bless us.
God will bless us,
and all the ends of the earth will fear him.

I sat in Sunday school and listened as my Sunday school teacher, a retired preacher, brought us a lesson on Psalm 67. As he began, he asked us to share some of the ordinary things that we are thankful for; the things we don’t usually think about when we are praising God for the blessings. My teacher mentioned he was thankful for the garbage man. Everyone laughed when he mentioned that. It seemed to me that maybe it hadn’t occurred to many of them to be thankful for such an everyday, ordinary thing. As the class members began to loosen up and share what they were thankful for, I thought of my blog buddies who faithfully keep a gratitude list. I smiled inside as I knew how we were learning to find beauty in the ordinary and remembering to thank God for all the gifts he gives.

So today I continue with my gratitude list, thanking God for all that surrounds me; the ordinary and the not so ordinary.

466. the sweetness in my mother

467. getting a few things taken care of concerning my parents’ legal affairs

468. ice packs for reducing inflammation.

469. rose rocks

470. seeing and hearing my step-son laugh hard

471. the American flag. My neighbor across the street has a large one hanging on the front of his house, covering a window. (He’s a young single guy so maybe this is easier than picking out curtains for the inside of the window!) I see that flag every time I sit in this chair and type or read.

472. progress on the house renovation

473. two praying mantises perched on the side of my house

474. the wind making the trees dance in my neighbor’s yard

475. Atkins Advantage shakes for a quick, nutritious meal that is low in sugar

476. a black beaded necklace

477. sweet smelling perfume

478. full laundry baskets

479. fabric softener (no static cling!)

480. the smell of ham cooking

481. a day off from labor

482. batteries that help me see, hear, and do things I wouldn’t be able to otherwise

483. battery chargers

484. a surprise brought home by hubby

485. cool evenings

486. sitting outside with my hubby

487. a desperate cry to my heavenly father

488. His timely word

489. never alone

490. always loved

A blessing caputred . . . a rose rock

Rose rocks are aggregates of barite (barium sulfate) crystals and sand whose iron content gives them a reddish hue. The barite crystals form a circular array of flat plates, giving the rock a shape similar to a rose blossom. Rose rocks appear either as a single rose-like bloom or as clusters of blooms, with sizes ranging from pea sized to four inches (20 cm) in diameter. The rose rock was selected as the official state rock of Oklahoma in 1968. (Wikipedia)


4 comments:

  1. A cry to our heavenly Father...and a heavenly Father who always answers.

    Beautiful thoughts today!

    And I had NO idea that was the state rock of Oklahoma, I thought it was a petrified pile of something. EEK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephani, thank you for listing your blessings of ordinary things. I read Psalm 67 this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to ask my Oklahoma son in law if he knows about the state rock of Ok. I'm betting he doesn't.

    I've seen the pink camoflauge and think I may have to get some just for the fun of it and since I do not go hunting, I could wear it on our trecks to the woods. :o)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This list is priceless! I love how your Sunday school teacher is thankful for the garbage man! My kids are thankful for him too. ;o)
    Rose rocks, praying mantis, never alone. I'm glad to have stopped by your blog to catch up a bit. Something about how you say what you do is comforting. Thank you for being a vessel of God's comfort.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!