September 20, 2010

I'm Thankful I Don't ~ Counting My Blessings

I’ve had so much stress in my life this year, and it’s so easy to focus on all that has been difficult. There have been trials handed to me, but there are so many difficulties that I don’t experience. Today I’m thankful for the things I don’t have. It somehow seems inappropriate to thank God that I’m not one of the impoverished ones, but I am thankful. I am thankful God doesn’t give me a snake when I ask for a fish and so I’m thankful for what he doesn’t give me. This isn’t to say that I couldn’t face any of these troubles at any time, but right now I don’t, and I’m glad. I also recognize that in what God gives, and doesn’t give, there is responsibility. I am blessed to be a blessing. Jesus said the poor would always be with us; poor in finances, poor in health, poor in relationship, poor in soul. We are all poor at one time or another, just as I have been in the past. So, I help the poor in my midst until I am again the poor in their midst.

511. I don’t sleep on a floor or under a bridge

512. I don’t drink contaminated water

513. I don’t walk miles to collect clean water

514. I don’t walk over gravel with my bare feet

515. I can’t see outside through the cracks in my walls

516. I don’t have empty cabinets

517. I haven’t been wearing the same dirty clothes for several days

518. I don’t need a mosquito net at night when I sleep

519. neither a flood, earthquake, fire, or tornado has damaged or destroyed my home

520. I’m not threatened by violence at every turn

521. I’m not abused

522. I’m not terminally ill

522. I don’t have an incurable disease

523. I’m not in constant pain

524. I’m not jobless

525. I’m not destitute

526. I don’t believe in a false God

527. I’m not alone

528. I’m not afraid

529. I don’t feel helpless

530. I’m not blind to hope

What trials are you facing today? What have you been given that seems impossible to bear? What have you been spared? What is absent from your life that you can be truly be thankful for today?

A blessing captured . . . some of my bounty

6 comments:

  1. Stephani,
    This is a great perspective that we would all do well to think about. "There but by God's grace go I". I love Monday's!
    I am so sorry that you have been going through so much stress. I have been praying for you and I am certain that you ARE a blessing to so many, many people. Me for sure!
    grace to you, my friend!
    ~a

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful entry and a real blessing to me this evening. Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephani, your heart-opening post encourages me this day. I am grateful to not be unemployed. I am grateful to have met you through your blog.

    You are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, Stephani. I guess watching the gals go and blog in Guatemala has awakened my senses anew about blessings that I tend to take for granted. Puts a godly perspective on being thankful that we actually have a few things in our pantry and fridge to choose from to eat, yet still go get burgers for supper.
    Beautiful list. "I help the poor in my midst until I am again the poor in their midst." Brings me to Micah 6:8. Thank you!

    Blessings to you!
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hopped over from Tami's blog to discover yours. It's lovely to "meet" you! I enjoyed your "I don't" list today...wonderful perspective! I've been thinking on these things lately too. God's goodness abounds in this land...might we never forget how much we have and always be willing to reach out to others who don't! Especially with the Love of our Saviour to lost souls...

    Blessings to you today!
    In Him,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!