May 5, 2010

Mending Broken Wings

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the aching, or cool one pain, or help one robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain." ~ Emily Dickinson
You’ve read this quote at the top of my blog. It’s my favorite quote. I do long to help others. I feel complete in some way when I can do this. Maybe as a Christian, with Jesus living within me, I have a compulsion to do this. It’s something he needed to do while he was here on earth, and it continues to permeate all that he does now. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Jesus is asking me to be his hands and feet and as the vultures circle around this bloody and bruised soul of one I love, I find myself trying to cover him with one hand while swatting at the vultures with the other. I’m hoping they will grow tired and leave him alone, or that he will become so strong that they will lose interest in him. If I can breathe some life into him, maybe the stench of death will no longer linger in their nostrils and they’ll just fly away.

Luke 6:36
You must be compassionate, just as your Father is compassionate.

I can’t just pick this human robin up and put him in his nest like a feathered one. It doesn’t work that way. The fall from the nest was long and hard, and the only way back up is through flapping wings, beating hard until they catch the wind and fly again.


What do I have that I can give this little one to make the healing right so that the wings won’t be crooked when they heal? Did I receive anything at Easter that makes any difference at all? A bloody cross. An empty tomb. Do they mean anything now that the vultures circle?

Colossians 1:19-2
For God in all his fullness was pleased to live in Christ, and through him God reconciled everything to himself.  He made peace with everything in heaven and on earth by means of Christ’s blood on the cross.

I was a broken, bloody robin once. What did Jesus do for me that I can do for this one bent beneath his load? To be the nail scarred hands and feet I cannot walk on by. This flightless pain squawks for life healing waters. Divine words give wisdom and truth. They give the only answers that can mend broken wings and give reason to chirp again. Like a cloth soaked in warm water, I see compassion clean the blood and dirt. Like a needle and thread, I see hope stitch the wounds. I do all I can to create the right environment for proper healing, but complete wholeness comes from Jesus alone. There will come a day when this little bird must let go of his earthly menders, and take hold of Jesus for himself. He’ll walk with a limp otherwise and never quite learn how to take flight. Never really live or soar.

Psalm 145:14
The Lord helps the fallen and lifts those bent beneath their loads.

So just as seeing Jesus allows me to see the Father, I move in such a way that this tender one will look at me and instead of seeing me will see Jesus standing right where I was. I live Easter by living Jesus to the lost and the broken.

Humbly I ask that my thoughts be His thoughts and that my words be His words.  Otherwise, the broken-winged will be left earth bound.  I pray my path leads the lost straight to Him. Because when they find Him, they’ll fly and find their nest again.

2 Corinthians 1:2-4
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.


(photos,  courtesy of Tony Northrup)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder of our Father's words and commission for us. This is Mission Month for our church here in Bangkok. I hope my whole family will chip in in whichever way we can...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your heart, Stephani. As I watch a nest being built in my garden, I shall be reminded of your robin analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love your Emily Dickinson quote at the top of your blog. I can sense in you that feeling of wanting to help; I know the Lord honors that and is using you to do just that. May you be blessed as you go about the Lord's work...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful words, Stephani. I love those verses in 2 Corinthians, a reminder that God is All Comfort and that He comforts us so that we in turn can comfort others. Praying for you today.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!