May 4, 2010

Best Ever Berry Cobbler

As I've mentioned here before, my husband and I like to go berry pickin' and peach pickin' every Summer.  We still have quite a stash left over from last year that we have had in our deep freeze, so I have been trying to use them up before it's time to head back out to the farms.  Saturday night I used this recipe (the only cobbler recipe I ever use anymore) to make peach cobbler and we took it over to my in-laws for a late night visit.  Last night I made the same cobbler with strawberries and raspberries. Yummo!  Anyway, I thought I'd share it here and maybe you can make this with some of your fresh or frozen goodies!

This recipe calls for an 8x8 dish, but my one and only 8x8 dish was still over at my in-laws when I made this one so you'll see I used a 6 1/2 by 9 1/2 dish for this one.  Whatever works!

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Place 4 cups of  fresh or fozen berries (or peaches) in a lightly greased 8x8 baking dish. (The original recipe calls for fresh berries so if you use frozen, as I did here, you will need to drain much of the liquid off and count on cooking it longer.)

Sprinkle with 1 Tablesppon of lemon juice.


Stir together 1 large egg, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup all-purpose flour in a medium bowl until mixture resembles coarse meal.


Sprinkle this mixture over fruit.


Drizzle 6 tablespoons (yes 6!) of melted butter over the top.


Mmmmm.  Look at all that butter!


Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.  Remember if you use frozen it will take longer especially if you don't drain the juice.  The peach cobbler I made with frozen peaches took over an hour because I forgot to drain any of the juice off.  This berry cobbler took about 50 minutes even after draining much of the juice.  If you are using frozen, after the 35 minutes are up, just keep checking it every 5 minutes or so to see that the crust gets done.


Enjoy!


This recipe was adapted from a recipe in the July 2008 issue of Southern Living Magazine.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks delicious! :) Thank you for sharing!

    Have a great day, Stephani!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That DOES look good! I love your butterfly bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This look amazing! I love cobbler! I have a recipe from a Paula Deen cookbook that I use all the time that is delicious. It is very similar to yours but the batter is wet and you spoon the fruit down into the batter and it bubbles up over the fruit. It has lots of butter in it and is super yummy!!!!

    Blessings
    R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephani,
    Yummy! Thanks so much I can't wait to try it. Have a great week.
    Blessings,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! That looks delish! I just bought some rhubarb today to make strawberry rhubarb crisp. I love those types of desserts...mmmmm! I'll have to give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, I must try this one.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog! The recipe looks GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, do you think you could pass a bowl of that cobbler over here?

    Sure does look delish!

    Sweet dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops! Not sure what happened. I tried to leave a comment.

    This may post twice.

    Would love some cobbler and a glass of milk.

    Think you can arrange that?

    Hope you're having a wonderful week!

    Sweet dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stephani, thanks for the recipe - yummy! Thanks for stopping by my blog with food for my soul. I appreciate the prayers. May the Lord perfect all that concerns you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good, I'm going to give it a try for Bible Study next week. I'm a horrible baker...hoping the great photos will help me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy! I think I might try this over the weekend. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Berry nice, will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I will have to make the peach version of this as soon as the fresh peaches arrive. (about mid-June) Hubby would be thrilled to have a peach cobbler. It's something that I've rarely made since we've been married, but he really likes cobbler. Me, not so much. Thanks for sharing and the photos were great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!