February 18, 2010

Kentucky Butter Cake


Last week I mentioned Kentucky butter cake more than once on my blog and have been intending to get the recipe posted as well.  This recipe came from my mother-in-law.  I was scared to make it because hers is so good.  I just knew mine would flop, but it turned out fine.  This is a wonderful, moist cake that I think you will just love.  Enjoy!


INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE

3 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup butter milk
2 teaspoons vanilla

INGREDIENTS FOR BUTTER SAUCE

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1 tablespoon vanilla

DIRECTIONS FOR CAKE (preheat oven to 325)

1.  Sift together 3 cups sifted flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon soda.

2. Cream 1 cup butter and gradually add 2 cups sugar, creaming well.

3.  Blend in 4  unbeaten eggs, one at a time, beating after each.

4. Combine 1 cup buttermilk, and 2 teaspoons vanilla.  Add alternately with the dry ingredients to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.  Blend well after each addition. (with electric mixer, use low speed.)

5. Turn into 10 inch bunt pan or tube pan, greased on the bottom.

6. Bake at 325 degrees for 60 to 65 minutes until cake springs back when touched in center. When cake is nearing the end of the baking cycle, prepare butter sauce (see below).

7.  As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, run spatula along edge and stem of pan.  Prick cake with fork several times.  Slowly pour hot butter sauce over cake. Be sure to cover completely. Cool before removeing from pan.

8.  Just before serving, prinkle with confectioners' sugar.

DIRECTIONS FOR BUTTER SAUCE

Combine in saucepan 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water and 1/2 cup butter.  Heat until butter is melted; do not boil.  Add 1 tablespoon vanilla.


Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Stephani, this looks and sounds so delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I think I will try this one tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed looking over your blog
    Great Blog Title
    God Bless You, Ron
    http://ronjoewhite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, yummy!
    Can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!