October 27, 2009

The Sights and Sounds of Fall

Fall is my favorite time of year. There are so many wonderful things about this season, it's hard to pick my favorite. We often focus on the sights of fall, the rich color of the changing leaves would probably be the most noted. We think of pumpkins and cornucopia, turkeys, sweatshirts with our favorite team's logo on it (Boomer Sooner!), camo and blaze orange as hunters bring home their game, wader-clad fishermen tempting the trout, and in my line of work, the sight of students back on campus. However, I've been thinking a lot about the sounds of fall this year: the crackling of wood in the fireplace, the rustling of leaves in the trees and then finally on our lawns, the laughter of children as they pick out a pumpkin or take a hayride at the local farm, and of course, "trick or treat!" But the sound I love the most, is the sound of football. I love the sound of a football game. The stadium sounds, whether they be high school or Division I college football, are true markers of this season.

Some might not consider it a blessing, but we live about 2 blocks from our local 6A high school stadium. I love being at the stadium during any football game, but we don't even have to be attending our local high school games to enjoy the sound of what takes place under the Friday night lights. We can clearly hear the band as the fight song blows into our windows. We can hear the "Fight team fight!" of the cheerleaders. We can know the play-by-play as the announcer's voice booms out of the intercom, and we are sure to know when our local boys have made a touchdown by the roar of the crowd. As we look out over the top of our neighbor's house we can see the stadium lights high above her roof and reflecting onto the windows across the street. Some might think this all a nuisance, but I love it. If we don't make it to the game, we've got a good seat anyway. We would like to move to the country someday, but come Fall, this is one sound of our life in town that I would miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!