October 4, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom



My grandfather used to say, "It doesn't take long to live a life." I think of that as I celebrate my mother turning 80 today. I can hardly wrap my mind around that thought, especially when I think that I was only 6 years old when she was my age. I'm as amazed at the years that have gone by in my own life as I am in hers!

She has this little plaque in her room that says, "Only one life, twill soon be past. Only what's done for Christ will last." I guess as you watch your parents get older and begin to struggle with their twilight years, it causes you to reflect on your own life. I said to my husband today, "If we spend our energies on other people, we will not have spent our lives in vain." This is what I want to do. For all the "what if's" and "I wishes" that I could waste my time thinking about there are so many more "I can't wait to see what God will do next" times yet to come. I want the next 37 years to be lived deliberately so my 80th is a peaceful one. That's what my blog is about. Living each moment and living deliberately, with a purpose. I'm reflecting about my mother's wonderful life today and obviously about my own as well. Besides my husband, my mother is my best friend. God has nurtured that friendship over the last 14 years or so and it has been a true blessing to me. She has taught me a lot about Jesus, especially his love for me and his holy power.

My husband and I celebrated my Mom's birthday today with her and my Dad over at their house. I fixed a cake and made them lunch. It was a good little celebration. Here are just a couple pictures from the day. If you haven't called your mom lately or gone to visit, do it soon. It doesn't take long to live a life.






Happy Birthday Mom! i LOVES ya! :)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about that deleted comment! I realised that this post was written a long time ago...it may not *fit* anymore. I can tell by this post you love your Mom very much! :)

    Many blessings,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!