March 7, 2009

Cave of Adullam

As I write this post my mother is lying in a hospital bed with heart problems. Her condition is very dangerous and difficult for the doctors to work with. I was feeling rather strong until I heard the doctor himself say how serious the situation is. I have found myself crumbling a little ever since. But what does the Lord say?

"The Lord helps the fallen and lifts up those bent beneath their loads." Psalm 145:14

I am in awe of God and how he does exactly what he says he will do in his Word. Spending time in his presence lifts me to higher ground. I said to God this morning, "I just want to be alone with you in a dark cave somewhere where there are no distractions, and you can teach me and tell me what to do." - God answered and said, "The cave of Adullam." I couldn't quite remember what the cave of Adullum was, but I knew it was in the Bible so I went to it and found these words.
"So David left Gath and escaped to the cave of Adullam. Soon his brothers and other relatives joined him there. Then others began coming-men who were in trouble or in debt or who were just discontented until David was the leader of about four hundred men." 1 Samuel 22:1
What happens when we are willing to enter into the cave of Adullum? We find more than rest there. We find that God provides for our needs. We are equipped with all we need to defeat whatever it is that may be trying to overtake us. God is faithful, God is faithful. We can enter the cave of Adullam in the quiet place of our heart, or we may need to go to a literal place of quiet where there are no distractions to simply embrace the Glory of God. So much strength comes from quietly bowing before the God of the universe -the God that made my mother and made her heart - the God who made me and gave me to her - the God who knows the secret places of my spirit.

 "When darkness overtakes the godly, light will come bursting in." Psalm 112:4

1 comment:

  1. excellent points and the details are more specific than elsewhere, thanks.

    - Murk

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!