November 10, 2008

Time keeps on slippin' slippin' slippin'. . . .

Setting up this blog and actually making a post are two very different things. I've been thinking about what to say on this first post, and then I just keep putting it off. So, without further ado I am going to jump right in. I am a thinker, reflector, and writer, and I often wish I had an avenue to get my thoughts “out there.” I often think about writing a book but wow, that is an overwhelming thought to me. If I can’t figure out how to get a blog started how will I get a book started? Well, maybe this is a step in the right direction. I don’t know if there is anyone out there that cares to read what I have to say or if it would benefit anyone in any way, but I hope so. Ultimately however, I think it will benefit me to get my ideas and thoughts “down on paper.” Sometimes this blog will be random, sometimes it will be deep, but essentially it will be me at any given moment. It will involve faith, family, friends, country, politics, pets, hobbies, hopes and happenings as well as all the other things that make up my life.

My hope is to use this blog to encourage my own efforts to live each minute of each day deliberately and not passively, and to help others do the same. One minute may be consumed with lounging on the couch with a hot cup of tea and another minute might be given to a distraught student in my office, but either way it doesn’t matter as long as I don’t just let minutes tick by without a thought that they have ticked by. We’ve all heard the saying that time can’t be borrowed. We also can’t get it back; we can only use what we have by giving it back to God, others and ourselves. However God wants me to spend my time, that’s how I want to spend it. There is a wonderful little book titled “The Precious Present” written by Spencer Johnson MD that I first read when my father gave it to me as a gift. It addresses this very topic. I would encourage you to read it.

You may think I already have a complete handle on living each minute fully since I'm writing about it here. I don’t at all. In fact, I'm an infant in this area. I’m working on it because too much time has already slipped away.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing a few minutes with me.

2 comments:

  1. Stephani,
    I am so glad you made the decision to step out there. I can hardly wait to read the next installment ;-) This was such a good idea and we know where good ideas come from...Too many of us get good ideas from above and then sit on them. WHAT A WASTE! I feel a book coming on , girl! --Stephie D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are bloggin'!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hate that I have to put moderation on, but if I don't I get bombarded with spam emails! Hate that! But love that you visited so let me know you were here!